Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

truck avenger carb.... 660cfm or 770cfm

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by RootBreaker, May 10, 2004.

1. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

well as I am finishing up and gearing towards putting my truck on the road hopefully next month... I am in a need for a new carb... so the truck avenger it will be....
    on their site they say 400+hp to use the 770cfm and below that use the 660cfm... anyone have any experience with them? my uncle knows alot about motors and told me to get the 770... he said he is running a 750 holley on a el camino with a 305 and it runs fine... I just figure if I have to drop $400 for a carb.. lemme get the best bang for the buck.. anyone have any experience with these? when I am done with my motor I may get to 350hp... but now I think I am at about 220-260hp.. dunno yet.. will dyno it though... /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

670 definetally. Sorry your uncle is wrong. for a truck you don't want to overcarb. The 670 will be better throttle response, torque and low/mid rpm hp, all important in a truck. I bet your uncle would notice a difference in the low end if he went to a 650 on that 305.

3. RootBreaker

[ QUOTE ]
    670 definetally. Sorry your uncle is wrong. for a truck you don't want to overcarb. The 670 will be better throttle response, torque and low/mid rpm hp, all important in a truck. I bet your uncle would notice a difference in the low end if he went to a 650 on that 305.

[/ QUOTE ]

hmm i should let him know... /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif
    if he doesnt already know.. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

he probably does, he probably feels the little top end gain is worth it in his ride, which it may be. On a truck more mid and bottom end are a better idea, but its up to you.

5. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

if it is a street truck the holley will be fine
    but it will not work off road at steep angles

6. RootBreaker

[ QUOTE ]
    if it is a street truck the holley will be fine
    but it will not work off road at steep angles

[/ QUOTE ]

ummm the truck avenger is supposed to take wicked angles... /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yeah well you will figure that out sooner or later. My Ebrock Offroad is suppossed to as well, haven't tried it out yet, but I doubt it will. It was just a nice cheap carb really. Someday I will go propane or fuel injection.

8. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

well they LIE if they said that
    all I recall is 30* climbs advertised
    there is nothing different inside the carb then was in any other Holley
    gravity still pulls the fuel through the passages that vacuum is supposed to draw through when climbing
    turns from 'vacuum metered' to 'gravity flood'

9. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

I did propane for less $ then a new Holley, used system
    still have to get the ignition recurved but runs great and price is stable currently
    did my brother 89 bronco as well
    have 3 others trying to get me to convert their vehicles

10. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

I dont know what you heard about these carbs not working on angles but everything I here is nothing but good (when dialed in) there even someone on here w/ the carb and almost put their k5 on its side and it was still running

11. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

To be honest, for a truck that see's off road useage, go with a Q-jet. For a street beast, go with a Demon carb. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

12. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

side wont cause the floatbowl to be higher then the main discharge nozzle
    I have run holley carbs for many years now so it isnt "what I heard"
    it was a CK5 member posting side by side images comparing the truck avenger and a standard Holley showing no changes that can defy gravity
    it has an ad campaign and some pretty cosmetics that do nothing to alleviate the climb/flood problem that is the death blow to Holley guys that want to wheel
    I do not think there is another application that holley doesnt kick ass in when talking carbs
    I would use a holley over electronic fuel injection in other applications

13. ZZ4x4

ZZ4x4 1/2 ton status

On my rig, I've run a Q-jet, Edelbrock, and now a 670 Truck Avenger. The Truck Avenger is the best carb on or off road I've owned. The low end torque is awesome. Never had a stumble or hiccup while bouncing up and down some pretty darn steep trails that made by other carbs flood/starve and stall. The tuneability of the Holley blows the others away, although it does take some fiddling to dial in correctly. I am running around 350-400 hp now and had to rejet a few sizes bigger for the best performance. The 770 might have been better for my motor, but for yours in the 260-350hp range, go with the 670.
    You won't be dissapointed after you get it set right.
    Jeff

14. RootBreaker

[ QUOTE ]
    On my rig, I've run a Q-jet, Edelbrock, and now a 670 Truck Avenger. The Truck Avenger is the best carb on or off road I've owned. The low end torque is awesome. Never had a stumble or hiccup while bouncing up and down some pretty darn steep trails that made by other carbs flood/starve and stall. The tuneability of the Holley blows the others away, although it does take some fiddling to dial in correctly. I am running around 350-400 hp now and had to rejet a few sizes bigger for the best performance. The 770 might have been better for my motor, but for yours in the 260-350hp range, go with the 670.
    You won't be dissapointed after you get it set right.
    Jeff

[/ QUOTE ]

aight.. now who has it for the best price???

15. ZZ4x4

ZZ4x4 1/2 ton status

I got mine new on ebay for $299. I had to bid (and Lose) several auctions before I won one. If you're patient, you can probably get a similar deal. Good luck /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

16. chubbybob

chubbybob 1/2 ton status

I had the 660 in my truck last year and it worked fine for a while but something inside happened that made it run like crap at full throttle so I got rid of it and bought the 770 when it came out.
    it was a much better carb for my big block and worked flawlesly at any angle when I first put it on it was set pretty good from the factory so I didnt need to adjust it.
    I had taken it out a couple of times and had no problems until I went to the dunes a couple months ago and the same crap happened it wont run at full throttle and I cant figure it out something probably came loose inside the carb from bouncing around ?

the carb does work very well at any angle no matter what anyone says here but im still not happy about the full throttle problems they both have had.