Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

truck avenger continued

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by RootBreaker, Apr 20, 2006.

1. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Since I was highjacking another thread I thought I would start my own... be a good boy.... :crazy:

anyway.. I called holley as I still have the stumble... even with the holley truck avenger 90670-2

I was just told by holley what they recommend I buy... I dont see why they dont just give it to you.... or put them in the dayum carb....

previous post....
    no I didnt do that part yet... how hard is it to change the squirters? i have a few dollars coming in so I can afford it....

Yeah when I originally called them I told them some of the problems I was having.. then I told the guy I failed inspection so I have to go back for something totally not related to them... the guy was like... yeah you failed cuz that is an off road only carb... will never pass emmissions....
    I laughed and told him to not worry about that part.. I already passed the emmissions part I just failed for 1 front leaf loose and pitman arm nut loose.....:haha:

he was shocked that I passed emmissions....

hmm guess I will go and price the parts....

you say blue accelerator pump cam..... is that the part where right now I have a red one? I was told you adjust the nut on top of it.......

[​IMG]

2. RootBreaker

Holley told me to buy the .035 squirters part number 121-135
    and also the guy said the accelerator pumps are in a kit and you dont just buy just 1..... that part number is 20-12
    now he recommended I dont put the blue one in.. he said use the pink... more fuel...... but the kit comes with a fuel so maybe ill have to play around....

ok so now where does one buy these parts....any online places? pepboys, autozone

3. rcamacho

rcamacho 1/2 ton status

Jegs or Summit have all of the Holley tuning parts you could want. As far as the shooters and cam go it's more a function of engine torque vs. vehicle weight and gearing. I'm running an orange cam and .31 shooters on my 750 BBC combo. I'd recommend a good holley book if you're stepping into any serious tuning.

4. RootBreaker

that is why i bought this carb.. they said... drop on and go..... yeah right.. i am happy with the carb though... just this lil stumble is a pain in the arse....

5. rcamacho

rcamacho 1/2 ton status

From the holly spec's I've seen you might want to tune the primary main jets as well if MPG is a concern.

6. RootBreaker

not a daily driver and when in the trails im usually ballz to the wall with the lil pedal.. trying to stick it through the floor... I dont care about MPG... I just want the hesitation to go away.... and the truck to run nice..... :wink1:

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

maybe its time...

Tried swapping the vacuum advance hose to manifold vacuum instead of ported ??...if not,give that a shot--make sure the vacuum advance WORKS too!...if that doesn't help,its time to play with jets and accelerator pumps,settings,etc..

I don't know why Holley just doesn't put adjustible main jets in their carbs factory,rather than sell 50 different jets..they sell the adjustible ones in Jegs,Summitt,etc..

I have had only a few Holley carbs out of maybe a dozen that actually ran great,and gave decent mileage...they seem to be very fussy about jetting and adjustment compared to other carbs,and weather changes affect them more easily too..I also hate the fact all the cams and other parts that should be included with a new carb to properly "tune" it to the particular motor your putting it on are not only not included,but sold as "add ons" ...to "add" to their profits!..and many times the parts change little or nothing ,it still runs the same...

We had a Corvair convertible at the boneyard with a custom 4 bbl intake..it had a 390 CFM Holley on it..it always backfired upon acceleration..we tried new power valves,accelerator pumps,cleaned it a dozen times..still loaded up and blew black smoke ocaisionally too!..the owner finally tired of it acting up,and being unreliable,and bought a brand new 390 CFM Holley from Jegs..we installed it,and guess what..

...it ran EXACTLY the same as the other carb!..and we could find nothing else to blame,fuel pump,was new,tank,and lines were all cleaned ,etc..we called it the "cold blodded holley" syndrome..it ran like poo until it was fully warmed up..maybe it was because the intake had no "hot spot" to pre-heat the fuel,who knows....:dunno:

I just ain't had much luck with holley carbs..only a few 2 bbl "economizer" carbs and one 4 bbl one I had in the 80's ran sweet..the "4150" and "4160" series always were toilets,at least the ones I had anyway..I'll stick with Q-Jets for all around reliability..(or AFB style carbs for on road use)...:crazy:

8. RootBreaker

I went with the holley due to having one off of a 1973 gmc 1 ton... believe it was stock too... but who knows.... that holley was a 650 spread bore and it would throw 30' roosters with a blown power valve....:bow:
    so I thought this one would be good.. however I do like it.... I can live with the stumble..... hell we live with other little quirks that we know how to handle with our trucks.....:haha:

9. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

I guess I answered most of your earlier questions in the other thread.

He said use a pink cam, interesting. Although that wouldn't completely surprise me. I've got quite a bit more altitude to deal with, so at sea level like you I could see being able to handle more squirt.

I'd try it and see how you like it.