Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

truck avenger questions?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ntx78k5, Sep 23, 2005.

1. ntx78k5

ntx78k5 1/2 ton status

I just got this thing mounted up and everything is right. All hoses are where they are supposed to be and this thing wont fire. Has anyone had weird little preoblems out of the box?

Also my springs off my quadrajet seem a little tight. Where can I get others?

2. TWISTEDJACK

TWISTEDJACK 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Is it squirting gas out of the boosters when you move the throttle??

3. ntx78k5

ntx78k5 1/2 ton status

`

I can smell gas but cant see any squirting.

4. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

Did you crank the motor long enough to fill the float bowls? Unfortunately with the Truck Avenger's bowl vent design, you can't really fill the bowls yourself.

If you're looking at the top of the carb, you should see fuel squirt out at the front of the primaries from the middle when you move the throttle lever. If you're not getting fuel squirting you may have a fuel delivery problem.

The gas smell could be remnant from before the carb swap.

5. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

out of the box mine ran... badly though.... had to adjust the floats... I have a electric fuel pump so just turned the key to on.. then adjusted.... then adjusted the choke....

but yeah you should be able to see it pee in the cylinders :crazy:

im also debating on selling mine.... dunno yet.. I really like it.. but thinking vortec heads, worked cam and the 670 may not be big enough :doah:

6. gman454

gman454 Registered Member

When I got mine I installed and started it but it surged at idle so I started checking vacume leaks. nothing all was good. I adjusted it up and it got a little better so i figured I would go for a test drive.( that was a joke ) at around 2800
    rpm the moter would bog and smoked badly. needless to say holley had to ship me a new one, but only after I sent that one back so the truck was down for a week
    and a half :angry1: :angry1: ((((THEY SUCK)))) :mad: I got the new one and all is good

7. ntx78k5

ntx78k5 1/2 ton status

Well I got it running and well actually. Had a slight timing problem. Not it hisitates when I press the accelerator from a stop. Almost to the point of backfire and stall?

8. rcamacho

rcamacho 1/2 ton status

Sounds like you may need to tune the accelerator pump shooter/cam.

9. ntx78k5

ntx78k5 1/2 ton status

:1zhelp: can i have that in none mechanics terms?

10. zero cool

zero cool 1/2 ton status

On the front of the carburetor is the accelerator pump. It's a lever that moves when you kick the throttle. It squirts a shot of gas into the engine to go with the big shot of air that comes rushing in when you open the throttle.

The amount of gas you need depends on a lot of things so they make the accelerator pump adjustable. There's a screw at the end of the lever that you can turn to make it shoot more or less gas. There's also some pieces that change the geometry of the lever to kick in more or less gas, as well as a "jet" (I believe they call it a nozzle or something like that) to meter the fuel.

Start with adjusting the screw in or out. You have to take the truck for a spin to test the full effect. Just revving it in neutral in the driveway won't cut it.

Just adjust the screw a little, go for a spin around the block, adjust it again, etc. until you get it to stop stumbling.

If that doesn't fix it, your best bet is to swap out the secondary springs (inside the black plastic part on the back passenger side). That controls when the secondaries open. Get the full spring kit from holley so you can try them all out. Then start swapping them until you get the right one in there. But that's a good thing to do anyway on top of adjusting the accelerator pump.

11. rcamacho

rcamacho 1/2 ton status

Hmm, time to buy a Holley tuning book on Amazon.com. You probably need a bigger accelerator pump nozzle. Buy the book, read it and then order some cams and nozzles from jegs.

12. ntx78k5

ntx78k5 1/2 ton status

Thanks Man, much apreciated

13. mrk5

Check the number on the air horn. If it is 90670-1, then contact Holley and explain your problem. They may replace it with a 90670-2.

The "-1" was the first version and you can do all the tuning you want, you're never going to get rid of the off idle hesitation. The "-2" is the newest version, and it is supposed to have that flaw eliminated.

14. ntx78k5

ntx78k5 1/2 ton status

More good info. Thanks,

15. TWISTEDJACK

TWISTEDJACK 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Is that true in the 770 too????

16. mrk5

Don't know. I just sent them an e-mail through the website and gave them all the info, which the -1 number is part of, and detailed what the problem was and what I'd done. I didn't ask for a new carb, I just asked if they had any advice on what I should try next. They simply sent me an e-mail stating that if I sent them my carb they would send me a -2 back.

So I would say just e-mail or call them and find out without asking for a new carb directly. I would think it would be the same problem for both carbs.

17. ntx78k5

ntx78k5 1/2 ton status

Part # stamped on the front side?

18. mrk5

Right there -->[​IMG]

19. 79chevyk10

79chevyk10 1/2 ton status

Same thing happened to me (I had a -1), called them up and they said ship it back and we will give you a -2. The -2 was alot better but still needed alot of tuning to run perfect.

20. zero cool

zero cool 1/2 ton status

All holleys need a lot of tuning to run perfect. ;)