Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

truck avenger

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sams78chevy, Oct 18, 2005.

1. sams78chevy

sams78chevy Registered Member

I was just wondering if anyone was running the Holley Truck Avenger carburator, and some opinions on it. Is it worth the money? Thanks.

78chevy6inchw/shackleflip,38.5x15x16.5boggers,steelwheels,14blt,d44.350cid/th350/203.

2. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

youll get mixed reviews, but im running one and i love it. hooked it up and drove!!!

3. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I got one and love it.. however out of the box... was good but not good enough.. floats were too high and choke needed to be adjusted... but that was expected...

shame I gotta take mine off....
    seems 454bbc HERE I COME!!! :bow:

4. ntx78k5

ntx78k5 1/2 ton status

I bought one a month ago, it started and ran out of the box but still stumbles every once in a while from take off. I've not adjusted anything on it yet as I only drive it about once a month. Off road its as good if not better than my old quadrajet and it seems to be getting me better mileage..so far.

I'd say its worth it I paid $369.00 for mine here in the DFW area.

5. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

I have one and it does pretty good, but it has a bad hesitation off idle. Come to find out the older versions have a problem.

When you buy one, make sure it is a new one; especially if you purchase one off ebay.

One the air horn there is a date stamp and a list number. You want a list number that reads 90670-2.

The "-2" is key. "-1" is the older version, and you'll never get it tuned properly.

Here's a pic from their site showing what I'm talking about.
    [​IMG]

Even with the hestitation, I still think it is a great offroad carb. Hasn't stalled on me yet.

Acutally Holley said if I send them the -1 I have, they will send me a new -2. My carb is going UPS today.

6. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I gotta check.. maybe talk to them....

7. ntx78k5

ntx78k5 1/2 ton status

MRk5 isnt BSing with that, the first one I had was an early 2 and had a problem with one of the bowl weights. The first question they asked was if it was a 1 or not when they ran the # they arranged through a local dealer to have it replaced same day.

8. slowk5

slowk5 Registered Member

i had two of them,the first one sucked really bad.i got it right when they came out,had a ton of problems.the 2nd one was a little better,it was a -1 on the air horn. i could never get the choke working right,traded it in for a q-jet.maybe holley has fixed all the problems now?It sure looks cool.

9. TX_GLADIATOR

TX_GLADIATOR Registered Member

I GOT ONE lots of problems got them all fixed works great some times. but when it works it works good. but i am still going to go w/ propane much easyer.

10. HELLBENT DESIGNS

HELLBENT DESIGNS 1/2 ton status

i had trouble with it on the smallblock, bigblock also. a combination of problems led me to spend more $$$$ and start over. i went to a edelbrock 750 with spring loaded needle-seats and jetwork. the holley is on the new project but never fired! by the way there is no -1 or -2 after the 90670 ???? will holley swap out the old ones? :dunno: