Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Truck bed removal question!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dontoe, May 14, 2005.

1. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have a steady leak from the passenger side fuel tank on the '73 cab on a '80 frame and bed truck I just bought. Dripping from the plastic shield from somewhere up there. Leaked until it got well below half full. I have an '82 pickup I can swap either or both tanks from it if it's the tank or tanks leaking. The question is:

How should I get the bed/beds off by myself?

A- I have a strong enough chain hangin' in a tree but rather do it another way.

B- I have a MF tractor and could go buy a boom pole like I've wanted for a while, only $85.00 at Tractor Supply.

C- I have a "cherry picker" engine hoist.

D- I have a winch and snatch block I could use in before mentioned tree.

E- I have a high lift jack and lots of cement blocks.

F- Combination of above?

And really most importantly, how should I lift it? As in how should I hook up any of the above to lift it.

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

most likly the tank seam. remove the plastic shield and look at the seam. and if so you dont need to remove the bed. just 8 bolts 2 wires and up to 3 hoses and fuller hose and vent hose and its on the ground. easy as pie. to bad you wernt closer i have 1 of each tank with sender and brackets all like new.

3. jhellwig

jhellwig 1/2 ton status

Just pick it up. Two people can lift it.

4. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I'm gonna cut the '82 in half also to make it into a trailer if I pull the tanks. Plus my arms are all cut up from last weeks header/tailpipe install...........sore!
    By the way Woodchuck, the transmission info was right on about the 350 tailshaft length on a 203 and 208 conversion. Thanks!

Have to do it Monday morning and haven't anyone I can get to come by.

5. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

cool on the tranny info. been a few years for that stuff for me.:cool1:

6. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

I have an old pair of camper jacks that normally are used to grab the sides of the camper to lift it. They work great in the wheelwells of a pickup bed to lift it up over the frame, tires and bumper. Then you can drive the truck out from under it. Just go straight ahead till you are clear enough to set the bed down.

I have pulled tanks by both dropping them from below and pulling the bed first and working from above. I think it is 100x easier to pull the bed first rather than fight the hoses from below.

Your best bet by yourself is probably with the winch and snatch block in the tree or the tractor. But I would move the truck straight forward out from under the bed either way and just set the bed down on the ground carefully. Then work on the tank as needed.

7. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

the first time i took my bed off, i did it by myself. just worked it back side to side till the front of the bed was on the bumper. this last time we took 2 chain falls hooked them in the center stake hole and hoisted it up. was deffinetely easier and faster this way, but it did bend the stake hole a little (wouldn't notice unless you looked down inside it or lay on the floor and look up at it)

ive changed many tanks before and never once removed the bed, too much work to take the bed off IMHO

8. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Maybe if your truck is rusty... Out here I can have my bed off in 5 minutes :grin:

9. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

well i did have to cut every bolt off because of rust... did you see my old box??? :blush:

10. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

If you have a chain hoist, you can put it though a hole in the center of the bed and drive out

Thats how I got mine off

Of course the fifth wheel hole was already there

11. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Just weld some chain to the box and hook it up to something sturdy like a light pole and then accelerate as fast as you can away from it....it'll come off!

12. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

you shouldnt have to take the bed off to get the tanks down. seems like a lot more work is needed.