Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

truck been sitting for a month and a half

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by tecton, Mar 11, 2004.

1. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

do i need to do anything right off hand?

the oil needed changing in january, so im having them do that before i get it.

fresh gas...anything else?

2. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

Let mine set for well over a year and all was well after a oilchange it took a wile of cranking to pump the gas back up to the bowl bt id just crank it for about 10 secons and lett it cool off for about 20 seconds and do it over. finely fired up and was good as the day i left it even with the old crap gas.

3. PeteH

PeteH 1/2 ton status

i've left my truck for a month and a bit before and it started up first time /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif there was a lot of smoke out the pipe but it went away in a couple of seconds. let it run for a while and i was good to go. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

4. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Month and a half?? That's nuthin to be concerned about. I've restarted motors with two and three year old gas. Didn't run great but they ran. Don't worry about the gas. Good luck to ya in the future.

Allan

5. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

well i baby my truck
    engine anyways......suprisingly, everything on the truck but the engine has broke, haha

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

My K5 sits for months at a time. I try to remember to start it every 2 to 3 months. Just started it a couple days ago, think it's been sence around holloween that I last fired it up.

7. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

i just wanted to be sure

is it difficult to tune the carb? dont you just adjust the air screw, and the fuel screw til it starts stuttering then back off of it a little?

8. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    i just wanted to be sure

is it difficult to tune the carb? dont you just adjust the air screw, and the fuel screw til it starts stuttering then back off of it a little?

[/ QUOTE ]What kind of carb ?? Q-jets are pretty easy to tune, Holleys are alittle harder to get right.

9. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

edlebrok performer 600cfm

1406 is the model i think?

10. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

A month and a half isnt anything. When I went to pick my truck up after I first bought it, it was like 20 degres with ice everywhere. The truck hadnt been started in about a year, and one of the pistons had broken and a piece of it was laying in the oil pan. It started right up. It knocked like hell because of the bad bearing, but it did start and drove me about 50 miles to where I parked it untill I had time to put in a new engine. Oh, not to mention something was wrong with the electrical system, and it killed 2 brand new batteries on the way home that night.
    -Harrison

11. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

<<edlebrok performer 600cfm

1406 is the model i think?>>

Best way to tune an edelbrock is to put a vacuum guage on the "full vac" port. ( not the ported vac nipple your distributor uses)fire up the truck, and turn both A/F screws out, until they just about come out of carb, then turn both screws back in, in equal half turn increments, until you reach maximum vacuum.
    Tom /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif