Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Truck binding up...detroit not unlocking or????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by laketex, Aug 24, 2003.

1. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Ok, my truck is binding up when i turn sharp corners. I have a new detroit which has seen about 200 miles and it still drags a tire on slow sharp turns. I also have drive flanges up front and it acts like it's binding up hard through the steering when I'm going really slow and have it cranked, like in a parking lot. When i whip into my parking space at work, the truck sits about 2" lower on the drivers side than the passenger side. So what I'm wondering is how will changing to hubs up front help? And wtf is wrong with my detroit? And is there anything else that I'm overlooking?

Truck Specs:

New rear leafs and shackle flip
    Procomp front leafs
    60 front with drive flanges/open/crossover

HelP!!!

2. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

203 or 205?

If it's full time, That would explain the binding up front....

Don't know about the rest.... Havn't driven the detriot yet! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

When I have my hubs locked, and it's not in 4wd and driving on the street, I have the same problem. Your wheel jerks around and a clunking noise comes outof the front end, right?

4. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

yup! It's a 205 case, but has a fulltime front axle. I'm getting a pair of hubs and we'll see if that helps. Now to figure out why it swings to the drivers side and sags there...

5. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

Bryan-

Did you change the direction that you swung into your parking spot at work today? Did that change the way the truck sat after you got out and took a look? Lets get some hubs slapped in that bad boy. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

-Dan

6. K5DRAGER

K5DRAGER 1/2 ton status

Hey Bryan, get those drive flanges out of there. Yes that is whats happening, they are binding. As for the rear I would say that is due to the detroit being new and tight, it should ease up a little with a little more drive time. But you will still get a churp once in a while when going around a tight corner. Good luck, and we'll hve to hook up this fall for some wheeling. I can't make the fulton run this time. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

7. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Thanks man, I just hope the detroit decides to let go and do its job soon! I'm working on a deal for some hubs now...should have them in by next weekend. What's wrong with ya on the fulton run? I have a serious conflict with something I had committed to previously, so i'm reevaluating my status on the trip as well.

Dan- I did as suggested, but it still has a slight drivers side tilt. Guess maybe i need to break out the tape measure and do some figurin! /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

8. K5DRAGER

K5DRAGER 1/2 ton status

The crewcab is in need of some dire attention. Bald tires, bad brakes and a death wobble when braking and thats just the worst things. So I don't feel its worthy of a trip of that magnatude. But on the bright side the lift is ordered and I'm deciding on tires and shocks now. Then a full brake job all new steering componets and a new exhaust. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Are your wheels turned straight when it's parked? I haven't seen a vehicle yet that doesn't lean when it's parked with the wheels turned. The rear springs and the non-unlocking Detroit could have something to do with it. It could be keep some sort of preload on the axle and causing it to "lift" the truck on one side.