Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Truck Boxes

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 2BLAZERS, Jan 26, 2005.

1. 2BLAZERS

2BLAZERS 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Okay, just got a new truck and I am in need of a new truck box, looking at over the rail, deep boxes. I was just going to get a Sears Craftsman but does anyone have any recommendations/comments about the ones at Lowe's, Gi-Joes, and Home Depot?

2. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

I was lookoing at customizing a box a while ago. Never followed through with it though. I do remember seeing nice ones at Tractor Supply Company for a decent price. Just a thought.
    -Randy

3. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

TSC (Tractor Supply Company) always seem to have quite a few in stock, and they seem to have a store in every little town around here. If anything that let's you see several different boxes in person.

I've got a deep, low profile, single lid crossover box ordered from them right now. It's aluminum diamond plate but powdercoated black, cost was just under $200.

4. 2BLAZERS

2BLAZERS 1/2 ton status Premium Member

No luck with Tractor Supply, none in Oregon have to go to CA or Montana per their web site.

5. tree_entz

tree_entz 1/2 ton status

I went deflectashield for mine and was real impressed w/ the quality and they service people when I was given the wrong keys.

IT'S MADE IN THE USA:grin:

Then I bought another truck and got one for that too, but the store stopped carrying the deflectashield and I found out this one was made in Mexico:(

hopefully you dont have as much body twist as I do or else you may have to put one of those rubber t-handle type latches on it to keep it from popping open!

6. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Get a UWS (United Welding Services) they are real nice.

7. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Do NOT buy a Delta.

8. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

Amen to that. They ****in BLOW!

I will second the U.W.S. boxes being awesome, they sell them at a local camper shell place and they are stout boxes, I could probly jump on the top and it wouldnt bend or anythin.

9. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I bought one without shopping around, thinking that it would be as good as anything else. WRONG! From the outside they look ok. But inside they aren't fully welded, they use some weak crap sheet metal for the floor, it squeaks and rattles, is not water tight, and when locked all you have to do is lift up hard on the latch and it will pop right open.

The boxes at TSC are a lot higher quality and they cost the same $$$.

10. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

Nothin like spending an afternoon dryingout yer tools...I found out the hardway..I first came here to VA in "rainy season" Definately made cheap....

The U.W.S box I was lookin at was about $300 powder coated, I might buy before I leave here and dump the delta.

11. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

I've had a Husky deep over the rails and a large Husky chest one. Very happy with both of them!!

12. davisz71

davisz71 Newbie

Don't buy a Better Built from Lowe's they're cheaply built and very unsturdy.

13. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

http://www.800toolbox.com/

Highway Products Inc... right there in Southern Oregon...
    they make the nicest boxes (and aluminum beds etc) in the United States

You can have it anyway you like....

cam

14. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

For those that have the United Welding box...What did you pay fro it? I got a price for the black powdercoated "deep" box for $350.

15. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

excactly what i was gonna say, that cheapass floor.???my friend bill got one(some of you may remember him from the mounds get together pics) and after a few days of bump in the road the bottom fell out:haha: :haha:

16. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

Im suprised the floor in my crappy delta box hasnt fallen out..got my HiLift, full tool box spaer axle shafts n a bunch of other junk in it. I'm really considering the U.W.S. box for $350..man..powder coated, wont rust, no aluminum to clean up

17. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

i got mine free, but it turned everthing in it silver ,and the lid has to be hit to get it to open. it is a delta but it's fully welded. i kept telling the manager at work"how can we sell them if people can't see what they look like on a truck?". he finaly gave in and he was let go a few monthes later:blush: :blush: .