Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Truck Cab/Blazer Frame

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by doc70sub, Sep 18, 2002.

1. doc70sub

doc70sub 1/2 ton status

Hey Guys,
    I know this has been beaten to death, but due to recent discoveries of rust on my '79 tub, I'm asking a favor in bearing w/ me. What I would like to do is swap a pre-smog cab ('73-'75), flatbed, & exhaust stacks on my '79 frame.

What I need is info from those who have actually done this w/

1)what year Blazer frame
    2)what year truck cab
    3)what did you have to do to complete the swap

Thanks in advance to all that offer info. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif
    Doc

2. backyardbuilt

backyardbuilt 1/2 ton status

I have a 79 frame and used a 78 cab. the front cab mounts line up perfect the rear you need to make a crossmember or buy one from a pick-up the rear mounts on the pick-up cab are on the inside of the frame rails, blazer is on the outside of them. Depending on the cab you get the cab wiring from your blazer may need to be swapped in to the pick-up cab I had to because of differences in the type of fuses used. As for the bed make your own mounts and just line it up where you want I went the extra mile and cut down a stepside bed. Check my pics for the out come. I can take pics of my custom crossmember I made out of tall square tube. Hope this helps ya. Ryan

3. blk87K5

blk87K5 1/2 ton status

FRIZZLEFRY has also done this conversion. I am going to undertake this project when I go home for christmas.

4. Frank74

Frank74 Registered Member

They make for a killer and unique combination, from what I have seen.

5. doc70sub

doc70sub 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the responses guys!

Ryan,
    If you get a chance, a pic of that crossmember would be much appreciated. You've done pretty much exactly what I would like to do on mine, nice truck!

Doc

6. backyardbuilt

We are finally getting some rain here but when it stops or lets up I will get a couple for you and some measurements. I get all kinds of looks and compliments with my set up most truck guys notice the steps are missing and can't figure out why when I tell them you see the light come on. Ryan

7. blk87K5

blk87K5 1/2 ton status

Post the pics on here, por favor. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

8. Frank74

Frank74 Registered Member

I've thought about hacking my frame in the back, and hacking the steps off like you did, and scooting the whole caboose closer. Although, I would be tempted to center the wheels in the fenders, which would result in a not as short WB as possible. Great set-up though, I checked it out awhile back.

9. backyardbuilt

Will post the pics here. I am gonna center the tires in the wheelwells when I finish my rear bumper and change the rear springs and hangers.

10. backyardbuilt

I will post the crossmember pics tomarrow quit raining and I had a wheeling trip with a friend so I will have time now.

11. blk87K5

blk87K5 1/2 ton status

Thanks...

12. backyardbuilt

Here they are the square tube is 4"x4" but I had to beef up the front cab mounts they were rusting out so you may not need as big of a piece. The only thing I could not get a pic of is the holes for the body mounts they are bigger around than the bolts so you need to use the right size hole saw for them on the bottom you need to cut a hole for access to tighten the bolts remember a socket has to go in the hole so make it bigger. Don't ask me why I say this, hope this helps. Also as far as strenght goes it has been like this for 5 years now and never had a single problem with it.

Pic 1
    Pic 2
    Pic 3

13. doc70sub

doc70sub 1/2 ton status

Thanks Bud! Those pics give me an idea of what to do. Still liking that truck more and more each time I see it! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif
    D.

14. backyardbuilt

It still impresses me it was my first attempt at a truck I am now on a quest to use a jeep frame with chevy drivetrain and 44's with an S-10 cab the hard part is the wife said no money is to be spent on it unless it is free or a part I already have is sold to buy a part. Makes it a bit more interesting to build! If you have any more Q's feel free to pm me. Hope your project goes well. Ryan