Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Truck cab on blazer frame? Anyone done this, pics???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bigjohn79, Aug 7, 2006.

1. bigjohn79

bigjohn79 1/2 ton status

I got a 79 Blazer and I got a serious boner to put a regular cab pick up truck cab on. Any pics Any suggestions? Thanks

2. KADILLACKID

KADILLACKID Registered Member

Lots of guys have done it,look in the photo gallers...I looked at pretty much every photo in there a few weeks ago and theres really awesome stuff....My blazer is an 87 and I have a 88-98 Reg cab on it..The cab is bolted to a subframe bolted to the stock bodymounts...Lots of cutting fabbing and welding,but worth it...To keep the 73-87 body,I believe its only making a rear cab crossmember and I believe you need a bodylift on the front of the cab to clear the raised part of the frame right behind the doors...Then shorten a bed,and relocate the fillerneck or build a kick ass flatbed!

3. muddermilitia

muddermilitia ThatTrazerGuy GMOTM Winner

checkout my buildup thread http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175060 I just got the rear crossmember done and I am starting on the flatbed for the rear. I did not need a body lift for the front cab mounts, but then again my blazer is an 89 and a 79 may have slight differences

4. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

5. DEMON44

DEMON44 Low-Tech Redneck

theres a couple nice ones around town here......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

7. bigjohn79

bigjohn79 1/2 ton status

Awesome pics and info dudes!! I need to find me a truck cab and chop to it!:D thanks for all the help and links . super cool stuff.

8. gm500hprat

gm500hprat 1/2 ton status

when you guys do that do you keep it registered as a blazer or do you register it as a truck now.

BigJohn79 where are you located? I am selling a 76 cab with bed front fenders and hood with no title or VIN. Im building a truggy and keeping the title and VIN since its already registered as a green sticker vehicle in ca.

9. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

You can go one of three ways.But in Ca. the legal way is to register it to the frame of the vehicle of the swap.And it becomes a year model truck of the frame you swaped to.The CHP has to re VIN the cab with the VIN on the frame.You also have to get it weighed if you go this route so the DMV knows how much to bang you on road tax now that its a truck.

The legal way is a pain in the ass :D

10. KADILLACKID

KADILLACKID Registered Member

Awesome stuff guys!!!

The flatbeds are awesome,but Im biased I guess,I love just about anyflatbed.Ive decided to ditch the box idea we had goin for mine and just flatbed it,its an ongoin project when I find the time to tinker with it....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hey DEMON44,I hear the wheelin is great out that way and theres always lots of people wanting to go on weekend trailrides,so theres gotta be some 4x4 clubs around the area? My girlfriend and I are probly going to be heading out that way for work late fall,and having people to wheel with would be a bonus!

11. DEMON44

DEMON44 Low-Tech Redneck

kadillackid, theres some great terrain around here. from flat land to bad lands to rocky mountains. the bad lands in Drumheller are pretty killer.