Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Truck carrying dynamite overturns on I-405

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by dontoe, Jul 26, 2005.

1. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Monday, July 25, 2005 · Last updated 10:14 p.m. PT

Truck carrying dynamite overturns on I-405

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

BOTHELL, Wash. -- A tractor-trailer rig carrying nine cases of dynamite overturned Monday on Interstate 405 near this northeast Seattle suburb in an accident that slowed but did not stop rush-hour traffic.

The big truck had been changing lanes on southbound I-405 at about 5 p.m. when it turned hard to the right to avoid stopped traffic, clipping another vehicle in the process, State Patrol spokesman Trooper Lance Ramsay said. The truck then clipped the guardrail and rolled onto its side.

Neither the truck driver nor anyone in the car was injured, Ramsay said.

Ramsay could not say precisely how much dynamite was involved but he noted it posed no hazard because it was not hooked to blasting caps.

At about 8:15 p.m., state authorities closed both northbound and southbound lanes of I-405 as well as the street that runs beneath it at that point, Ramsay said. The dynamite was offloaded into another trailer and the truck was then pulled upright and towed away.

The highway reopened about 9:30 p.m., he said.

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

correct me if i am wrong but it is also dosnt like being shocked with big movements. or is this just old dynomite:rolleyes:

3. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

I *think* its the old stuff i read the the nirto 'sweats' out, makeing it reactive.

still wouldent want to be around it

4. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

Dynamite explodes when subjected to extreme pressure or temprature changes. Many yrs ago a truck hauling ammonia nitrate fertilzer and dynamite caught on fire outside Sweetwater, TX. Everything was fine until the volunteer fire dept rolled up and hosed down the fire, the crater was over 100 ft in diameter and 30 ft deep.

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

sounds scary to me!

:crazy: :eek1: Dynamite!--now thats a truck I hope I never get stuck behind!...sounds like a truck terrorists would love to get a hold of.. :eek1:

The other day in Haverhill MA,a Mack 18 wheeled dump body truck driver "forgot" to lower his dump body as he drove away from a constuction site--he took down at least 6 telephone poles,and one landed on another Semi,and it was a miracle no one was killed or injured!(wires were sparking everywhere!)----it knocked out power to an entire section of the city for nearly 24 hrs,on one of the hottest days of the year!..I later read in my hometown paper a similar incident occoured the same day not far from my home,but damage was minimal,and no power was lost(and no big coverage on the TV news like the other incident!)...

No wonder they are always looking for drivers with CDL licences around here!--the guy that took the 6 poles down admitted on TV he was stupid to have forgotten to lower his dump bed,and aknowledged he'd probably be stripped of his CDL licence,and most likely would be fired--he looked kinda freaky,long hair and a beard..maybe he was stoned?? :doah: :rolleyes: :confused:
    I'd think even in a truck that big,you'd feel the difference in the body being in the "up" position when you drive off... :dunno: dont they have warning lights or buzzers?? :screwy:

6. Kiwi John

Kiwi John 1/2 ton status

Bang

The fertiliser bomb used to be a favourite of the IRA in London. Park a truck full of superphosphate in a London street, set the timer and casually walk away. Nice guys - not! :mad:

7. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Traffic SUCKED that day, lemme tell ya!

8. grimjaw

grimjaw 1/2 ton status

I-285 reopens seven hours after fiery crash

By Don Plummer
    Published on: 07/27/05
    At least one person was killed Wednesday afternoon when four tractor trailers, a utility-style truck and two passenger vehicles collided on I-285 in Cobb County, shutting northbound lanes for seven hours and sparking an inferno, officials said.

The fire and the traffic back-up resulted from a chain reaction on I-285 northbound, between Atlanta and Paces Ferry roads, said Lt. Dan Dupree of Cobb County Fire and Emergency Services. Northbound lands were reopened by 9 p.m.

At least one motorist in an SUV was killed, said Cobb Police Cpl. Dana Pierce.

All but one of the vehicles in a series of rear-end collisions caught fire, Dupree said. The SUV, the last of the vehicles, caught fire, and it spread forward, he said.

Eight fire units responded shortly after 1:45 p.m. and put out the last of the flames. Dobbins Air Reserve Base sent a foam truck after concerns were raised about possible hazardous materials.

All of the commercial trucks had been determined not to hold any such materials, said Pierce.

Four or five firefighters were being treated for heat-related problems, Pierce said.

-The Associaed Press contributed to this story.

The traffic in this city is silly. This crap seems to happen every 1-2 months.