Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Truck Caught Fire Today

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Hossbaby50, May 24, 2002.

1. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I am guessing when your truck dies and your catalytic converter catches on fire it is not a good thing right? My Mom drove my truck to work today (15 mile drive one way) and as she was coming home my truck started to sputter and died. She restarted it and got off the freeway, and then pulled over. She looked under the truck and my cat was smoking and then caught fire.

Aparently my passenger side cat has been going out, and got pretty clogged on the drive home and got real hot. Well my rear output slipyoke leaks and slung some ATF onto the cat and the ATF caught fire. She got the fire out though, so no real damage beside the new cat I need.

My mom said that my cat was glowing red hot like a horseshoe in a blacksmiths fire. Definitly not a good thing.

2. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    1st,thank your mom for being calm enough to get the extinguisher to put out that fire.My wife or my mom would have gone running once they saw the flames!

3. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

Yep, three cheers for your mom. Most people would have hauled a$$ and it would have burned to the ground.

4. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

Good job to your mom sounds like a thank you dinner is in order /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Yeah big time thanks to your mom. The passenger side cat is right up against the fuel lines too! Might want to get under there and make sure they are ok.

6. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I agree..........if my wife had seen flames under the truck, I can guarantee that my 84 would be sitting in the wrecking yard right now!!!!

Your mom rocks, brother!!! I hope you show your appreciation for saving your truck!!!