Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Truck caught fire today!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Brady, Aug 6, 2002.

1. Brady

Brady 1/2 ton status

My wife took my truck to bring one of the kids friends home.On her way home the truck popped a couple of times.She just turned down our street and it caught fire.I was in the house with a friend he went to leave and got the driveway and saw my wife running and the truck on fire down the street.He came back and got me.I grabbed the fire extingiser and ran down the street.I have a self built hood scoop and flames were coming out over the windshield.I sprayed down the scoop and my buddy opened the hood.We got the flames out.I didn't take a real good look at it to see what got burnt.It has been raining ever since.I think it just got the dist. cap, plug wires, vaccume hoses,fuel line and air filter.Think the carb started leaking through trottle shaft bore.
    Anyway this sucks I just started doing the body work.It is a '77 1 ton 2wd Chevy Crew cab dually.Sorry for the rant.Brady

2. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

man that sucks...glad no one got hurt anyway!!..good luck on the truck man!

Bryan

3. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

that sucks big time glad everyone is ok and you got it put out without the whole thing going up or exploading

4. Brady

Brady 1/2 ton status

Well I started cleaning the mess.It isn't too bad.The flames coming out of the hood scoop got the wipers.Just put them on yesterday.Also melted the plastic cover on the wiper motor,also just put on yesterday.Still works though.Melted the heater wires,will need to rewire that.Melted the dist.,cap and plug wires.Battery cables are fine and it still turns over.Fuel line from pump to carb is shot vacume lines to carb are gone and the plastic cowl vent cover is melted.Not sure about carb yet.Really need a new one anyway. Thanks for the support.Brady

5. tori89k5

tori89k5 1/2 ton status

Been there...... Done that !!! /forums/images/icons/mad.gif bummer dude! Glad you got it out in time.

6. Brady

Brady 1/2 ton status

Well it wasn't has bad as I thought. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif I got it running again tonight. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif Carb is fine,changed dist. cap,vacumme lines,fuel line,cleaned plug wires.Will get new ones anyway.Still need to rewire the heater blower and tach and put new wipers on.