Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Truck died, Need help!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by deek, Jul 8, 2003.

1. deek

deek 1/2 ton status

After setting for about two weeks I replaced the distributor,along with cap & rotor. once i started it I had it ideling for about half an hour(smooth as can be) then took it to the street & it ran great but after about 5 blocks it just died when i put on the brakes, then it wouldn't fire for a day or so, now it runs rough but won't idle & puffs some black smoke. Also with the air cleaner off it's spitting fuel out the top & is leaking from the carb in several places,,the carb never did this before.

Please /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif, my babys sick /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

2. foxman

foxman 1/2 ton status

Choke/Choke pull of opperating properly? a stuck choke will sufficate the motor.

also look at any wiring harness and or sensor connection, I know that crawling around trying to get that distributor lined up perfect will have you bumping and nocking a few things around under there, any disconnected wires/stressed wires will cause some probs.. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Good luck..

Jeremy

3. deek

deek 1/2 ton status

well being a 73' theres really not too many wires that run the motor, just the one to the dist. & it has power to it & out the plug wires. as for the choke, how should i check that? & what should i look for? (sorry I don't know jack about carbs, everything else i own is EFI)

4. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I'm no expert, but it sounds like maybe something's up with the carb such that the floats aren't regulating fuel properly. The floats are supposed to keep the fuel pump from just dumping into the carb, which is maybe what's happening?

What kind of carb? Maybe this would be a good time to get a new one anyway, for the fun of it. Either that or go get your current one rebuilt.

5. JustHorsinArownd

JustHorsinArownd Registered Member

Needle seat. The floats push up on the needle valve that shuts off the flow of fuel into the bowl of the carb. Believe it or not bang on the side of the carb with the handle of a screwdriver. What may have happened is a little piece of crud got in there and is holding the valve open. Also check to make sure the floats don't have a hole in them and gas has gotten in there and is weighing them down. Happened to me once. Good luck!!

Allan

6. foxman

foxman 1/2 ton status

the choke is the top flap of the carb that is controled by the heating up of the round black/brown covered thermostatic spring. with the enging cold it will be partially/completely closed. as the engine warms up, that top flap (choke) will open up all the way to let the max amount of air into the carb. if it is constantly closed, then there's your problem. the vacume diaphram on the carb helps to open the flap all of the way, sometimes this wears out and the choke stays closed. Good luck to you...

Jeremy

7. deek

deek 1/2 ton status

Well i checked the choke & thats not the problem, its operating fine. I'm also starting to think that the internals of the carb are messed up, it's running really rich right now & just doesn't seem to have alot of power when i floor the pedal going down the street.

Is it hard to rebuild the carb or at least just fix\adjust it? its a rochester Q-jet.

8. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

accelerator pump?