Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

truck dieing in mornings

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by chevycanada, Feb 3, 2004.

1. chevycanada

chevycanada Registered Member

Ok im a lil stumped with this one.
    I have an 81 silverado 3/4 ton 350 w/4 barrel rochester and manual tranny. the truck was off the road for about an month and a half and sat outside. since i have put it back on the road the truck dies in the morning. it will fire up fine and idle but as soon as i get about 2 or 3k from home it dies it if put my foot on the clutch at a light or to change gears. after it dies i can fire it back up no problem. it only does it early morning on the way to work, never late at night or on the way home. i dunno what to check, its got all new filters, new pcv cap + rotor are good. it stopped doin it for a couple weeks but now its back. any ideas or an idea where to look, i'm wondering carb but i dunno why it would only do it in the am? anyway if anyone can heelp it would be great.

2. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

possibly running too lean??? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

You do wait for it to warm up before you drive it , right? Did you make any changes to truck while it sat like intake or exhaust or even internal mods? Make sure the timing is right for your application and idle speed is proper. Check the choke for binding and that you are using the proper wire of your harness for choke if its electric. Mine will die if its not warmed up first on a REALLY COLD morning ( 35-40 degrees where I live right now at sunup ) . /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

4. chevycanada

chevycanada Registered Member

yeah it warms up but it doesn;t seem to matter. i've tried leavin right away and lettin it warm up for 10, it still dies. the weirdest part of it is i drive it for a couple miles fine then it acts up then i get to work shut it off and go back later and its fine. no mod's were done to the engine, all that was done was the body was stripped and re-done.

5. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

Was the vapor canister disconnected at any point?

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I'd suspect choke as well. Yours should be electric I believe.

I'd start it up in the morning, and since it doesn't matter if it's warm or not whether it happens, let it get to oeprating temp (or close) and then wire the choke plate open. (just warm it up enough so that the choke is fully open and/or engine idles fine) Then go drive it. At least then you can prove or rule out the choke.

In reality, there isn't much else that would cause it to die, then start right back up again, but there are a few other things I guess that could. (ignition for instance)

However, as common as choke problems are, I'd start there.

7. bigyellowjimmy

Its possible that the carb is running lean, when the choke comes off in the morning the cold air plus the lean carb kills it. Not sure when you get off work but it might be warmer then and it doesnt die. Could be it wasnt cold enough when you parked it to work on it for this to happen. Good luck /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

Hell, maybe you just need a good, thorough cleaning?

9. bigyellowjimmy

try a fresh fuel filter too??