Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

truck dies when I drop it to R or D

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mudfanatic, Jan 26, 2001.

1. mudfanatic

mudfanatic 1/2 ton status

What is going on here, my transmission is full, but when I go to move my truck it wants to die. the RPM's will drop so low that it either comes close to dying or dies completely. Also while warming up it will backfire once or twice.
    what's going on here?
    TIA
    Dan

<font color=red>get involved with land issues or lose the land</font color=red>

2. Bigmeats

Bigmeats 1/2 ton status

I had the same trouble on once, turned out to be the fuel filter. which then turned into a new carb because the previous owner stripped the threads for the filter housing and just RTV'ed the filter in (what a bone head). But i would try the filter, simple, and cheep.
    Goodluck

Bigmeats

Carl...75 Blazer...Manhattan IL

3. socal_k5

socal_k5 Registered Member

It sounds like a vaccum prob.Check your vac lines especially to trans module.

4. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Yeah, sounds like vacuum problem, too. Get some carb cleaner and spray it on all the hoses around carb, intake, etc. Go down to the vacuum modulator down on the tranny and spray some on the rubber hose there too. This is a time consuming process, but if you notice a change in the idle when you spray somewhere, thats more than likely your leak. The hose could be cracked or have holes in it, etc. and that off idle will let you know you have located the problem. Dont just stop there once you put new hose on, check all the vacuum hoses.

5. mudfanatic

mudfanatic 1/2 ton status

thanks to those who replied, I found the culprit, after posting the question I started thinking about vacuum, went out and looked everything over to no avail. I was about to give up and close the hood when I noticed the vacuum line was disconnected from the little round plastic thingy located above the heater box on the passenger side.
    I fired the rig up dropped it in gear and it ran smoothly.
    Now my rig hasn't been started except about 3-4 times since June so I waited for the temp gage to start moving then I did a stall test, at about 4800 rpm's it popped and died but was able to fire right back up. When I was driving this on a daily basis when it was cool out and I had to cross a lane of traffic it would usually die when I hit the gas.
    Is this a choke problem or a mechanical advance problem or a vacuum advance problem?
    TIA
    and thanks for the insight already.
    PS I have clear filters and one was dirty, it's replaced [​IMG]
    Dan

<font color=red>get involved with land issues or lose the land</font color=red>