Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Truck drives slow!!!!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Frogg89, Mar 26, 2004.

1. Frogg89

Frogg89 Registered Member

I just put a rebuilt 350 in my 89. It has a comp cam in it and I also put a 670 cfm Holley TBI on it. It runs good, no codes or anything like that, BUT, it is so sloooow. It was slow like this before the motor change and I thought it would improve. It has no pickup or power. I was wondering if anyone knows what could be my problem???

Thanks, Ken

2. dave_90_blazer

dave_90_blazer 1/2 ton status

what kind of gear ratio are you running with those 36's?

3. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

put some 4:56 gears in and you will see a big increase /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Frogg89

[ QUOTE ]
    put some 4:56 gears in and you will see a big increase /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I have 4:56s in it, got that done after I lifted it!!! /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

5. Frogg89

Could it be some kinda sensor or something thats holding it back?? Lets put it this way , I can floor it and it picks up at the same rate as if I were just "touching the pedal"!!!

6. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

When was the last time you change the fuel filter??
    Couldnt believe the difference in mine after the change. Could be a clogged fuel pump screen too. Sometimes it will set a Lean code.

7. Frogg89

No, I havent tried the fuel filter. I assumed that a bad filter would give me hesitation or stalling probs, I just have no pickup!! But, I did get a filter a while back, I guess Ill throw it on tommorrow!! It wont hurt!!

Thanks, Ken /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

8. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

Check how much oil is in it. Sounds dumb but I was with one of my buddies and it wouldnt go very fast. I told him to pull over and I checked the oil. He must have only lad like 1 or 2 quarts in it. We put some oil inn and it started working better.

Nick

9. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Could maybe be a plugged catalytic convertor too...that'll kill power!

Rene

10. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Hmmm, double post....

You must really want this problem fixed /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

11. Frogg89

[ QUOTE ]
    Hmmm, double post....

You must really want this problem fixed /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I do Its driving me nuts!!!!

12. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    No, I havent tried the fuel filter. I assumed that a bad filter would give me hesitation or stalling probs

[/ QUOTE ]

When my filter was plugged, it just got a little harder to start but no hesitation or stumble, just no power. Got so bad that if I floored it, the RPM's wouldnt get high enough for the governer to allow the trans to shift gears. That was about the point the computer started to flag a Lean condition, but only at WOT. Was a HUGH dofference when I changed it. TBI's need pressure to work properly. Again, could be a plugged filter on the fuel pump in the tank too. There are adaptor kits so you can put an in-line pressure guage and take readings. Just a thought /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

13. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

cat converter being plugged is a good palce to start, have seen it happen several times and cause weak engine power

14. husurddy

husurddy 1/2 ton status

Snow Hill, Maryland, go east \'till you hit water
    I just put in a new fresh engine with a towing cam and found that the timing had to be advanced quite a bit. Runs great and the best part is more power AND better MPG! /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

15. Frogg89

[ QUOTE ]
    I just put in a new fresh engine with a towing cam and found that the timing had to be advanced quite a bit. Runs great and the best part is more power AND better MPG! /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I did try the fuel filter today and it wasnt it!!
    Where did you set your timing?? I just want to see if I got mine right!!

Thanks,Ken

16. husurddy

husurddy 1/2 ton status

Snow Hill, Maryland, go east \'till you hit water
    To be honest, I can't remember. I was advancing it a lil' bit at at time, trying to stay away from spark nock and.....my inductor wire for the timing light burned up on my header. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Don't hold me to this but 12 degrees rings a bell. I have been really happy with the results and my exhaust doesn't smell rich anymore. I'll have to pick up another light this weekend and check.

17. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

u sure its running right on all cylinders and has the right amount of compression? just an idea i dunno .. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

18. 84blazerwhoopee

84blazerwhoopee Registered Member

[ QUOTE ]
    u sure its running right on all cylinders and has the right amount of compression? just an idea i dunno .. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Along these thoughts, I saw a mechanic mark with some type of chalk real close to each exhaust port on the manifold and then ran the engine for a few minutes. he then went back to look at the marks to see which was not discolored. I never found out what special type of chalk he used, if any, but it sure seemed like a smart idea at the time.
    /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif
    Randy

19. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

That would be a temp stick...at a certain temperature it goes from chalky to melted looking. I guess you could tell if any cylinders were running lean that way. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

We use many different temp sticks to guage the amount of pre-heat before welding.

Rene

20. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Which cam did you choose?