Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

truck driving schools, PAM, STAR, Schneider, etc

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by R72K5, Sep 7, 2003.

1. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

i live in IL and want ot find out about beginning truck driving career, who knows what about truck driving schools such as those that might be offered by companies such as: Schneider, STAR, PAM, etc ? i was told that some of them make you pay for hotel and such, does anyoen know how long course lasts ? a friend of minelocally who drives and started with PAMis goingot get me soem phone numbers and such tonight, this unemployment situation has worsened recently and i am sick of not being employed, tired of it,. i need to do something ASAP.

thanks for anything

2. got_mud

got_mud 1/2 ton status

with pam and schnieder you have to contract for at least 6 months to work for them after you finish training. i went to a local vo tech, killed 6 weeks in school, got on with werner for about 6 months and came home and got a local job. i make great money in a great job and plan on retiring with these guys. the most important things i can remember from recruiting classes are: contract term, if any, after training; training pay scale; train time, team time, solo time; mileage pay; and details. some companies will give you free training if you agree to work for them for a year afterwards. weigh the value of that time frame over the money they promise. the training pay scale is kinda crappy everywhere. most companies, when i was looking for a job, where in the 275-325 per week range early on then up to 375-450 towards the end of training. training generally means you drive while someone stares over your shoulder at first, then towards the end its is more like they try to team run you up to your breaking point so that both you and they know what it is. i climbed in a truck with a total stranger and ran like hell for two months. by the end of week 8 i was ready to kill. mileage pay varies greatly between companies. crap companies that will let anyone drive pay about .28 a mile. better companies with good equipment and reputable drivers are paying upwards of .45 a mile. details vary with each line but revolve around the same concepts. per stop, per load and unload, lumper reimbursement where needed, tarping for flatbedders, etc. if you are psychotic, go for a reefer rig. those guys go nuts dealing with the crap the f'ing unions pull in the warehouses. we tried to fire the union crew that worked in our warehouse and ended up in court and couldn't recieve any freight for 48 hours. what a damn scam. i digress... anyway, be prepared for life on the road. don't even think of going owner/operator unless you have more than 10k liquid in the bank and have NO bills at home. there is a million more points to ponder about. try looking at www.etrucker.net and see what is near you.

3. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

There are many company schools, But whoever they are, you will get locked into lower wage and a contract to stay with them and/or pay them back (with some, + interest!) I went to a local school. took 3 weeks. I signed on with a company, although pay/mile was low to start, I also got tuition repayment of 130.00 a month. After a year, I left and got a GREAT local job. home every night, 2 days off a week. I almost enjoy going to work agian!

4. rcpilot

rcpilot 1/2 ton status

I wnet through a School out here in Cali and we trained with '48 ft trailers... I have read a few post on trucker sites and some folks were trained on '26 ft trailers and when they went to a company to indoc with them they were not hired because they could'nt drive and do the backing skills with '48 ft trailers... If possible go to a school that uses '48 ft trailers, try to stay away from the 26's