Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Truck Engine in a Car

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bigburban383, May 7, 2004.

1. bigburban383

bigburban383 1/2 ton status

How can you make the most of a low RPM torquer engine in a car to go fast. I am thinking high gears and large tires. Like say a 388 in a Camaro.

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

not too high a gear ratio but, good sticky tires cause other wise you are gonna spin off the line and some decent ratios. Say low 3s? little below 3.42. Thats my opinion anyway.

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

You could also recam the engine (100 - 200 bucks) to put the powerband up alittle higher in the car. A Camaro being so light would be incredibly fast, stock Iroc , which feels REAL fast only ran 14.5 to 15.5 ets stock. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    How can you make the most of a low RPM torquer engine in a car to go fast. I am thinking high gears and large tires. Like say a 388 in a Camaro.

[/ QUOTE ] Do you want fast or quick ??? Quick as in 1/4 mile races = low gears. Fast on the highway = high gears. It's a trade off either way. Low gears you can't hold the high speeds for long cause you'll over rev your engine. High gears and it'll be a pooch off the line. I think 3.73's with a 700r4 is a good combo to go behind a small block. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif Cam ?? Comp Cams 292-H with a 3000rpm stall converter. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

5. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

If you want a quarter mile demon slap in a powerglide and 3.08s and hold on to your ass.