Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Truck has no power!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Frogg89, Mar 26, 2004.

1. Frogg89

Frogg89 Registered Member

I posted this in another forum but I figured Id try this one too!! I replaced my 350 with a rebuilt one with a comp cam and I put a new 670 cfm Holley TBI on it too, assuming Id get some more power compared to the old tired stock motor!! The prob is its the same as before, My truck accelerates VERY Slowly!!! I could put the gas to the floor and it picks up like Im gently touching the pedal!! Does anyone know if it could be one of those computer TBI sensors that is holding it back?? It runs good with no codes, just doesnt have the power it should!! /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

Thanks, ken

2. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Fuel Filter?????????

3. 85scottsdale

85scottsdale 1/2 ton status

My 350 has a bad cam in it right now and gasmileage sucks balls and the power sucks, i'm ordering a new one next week and installing it next weekend, was the cam broken in properly? Probably not the issue, but just an idea.

4. Frogg89

[ QUOTE ]
    My 350 has a bad cam in it right now and gasmileage sucks balls and the power sucks, i'm ordering a new one next week and installing it next weekend, was the cam broken in properly? Probably not the issue, but just an idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

Im still breaking the motor in but I should have some kinda power. Its doing the exact same thing that it did before this motor. Its got to be something that I havent replaced yet!!

Thanks,Ken

5. 85scottsdale

If you had a bad cam you would hear it anyway. I would suspect it has to do with a sensor or something being bad? Or maybe clogged exhaust or something? Do you have cats?

6. Frogg89

Yeah I have cats. Dont they get like cherry red when they clog up?

Thanks, Ken

7. 85scottsdale

They won't always get red when clogged, maybe only if you've run the engine real hard.

8. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Is it a gear issue???? Maybe you are expecting it to do to much with the 36" tires. If you put in to big of a cam, and have the wrong gears, it will perform miserably....

9. Frogg89

I have 4:56s in it.Its not a gear issue

10. 1badv10

1badv10 Registered Member

like someone said above the fuel filter should be your starting point, how long has it been since replaced? my truck actually had more power at 1/4 throttle then it did at full.. drove me nuts /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif, had no idleing or stalling problems.. for 5 bucks at walmart you save can save your sanityhope this helps /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Are you using the same h/balancer as your old motor? I spun the outer ring on mine once and when I rebuilt the motor I couldn't time it as the t/marks were in the wrong place! It ran but it was horrible and got hot quick.

12. rooferbret

rooferbret 1/2 ton status

My truck was a dog with fleas and ticks till I got a new cat /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

13. 85scottsdale

When I put on my new exhaust I looked into the cat and noticed it was melted and I could see like two very small holes through it. After I put on the headers even with a bad cam it felt like a new damn motor lol. But it was all the work of a holley carb that sunk the floats and dumps a lot of fuel in, i'm not running a Q-Jet and its wonderful! Except for the shitty power from the cam of course. 3.42s and 33's don't help either. But if its not throwing any codes then maybe it could be fuel filter or clogged exhaust?

14. Frogg89

[ QUOTE ]
    my truck actually had more power at 1/4 throttle then it did at full.. drove me nuts /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif, had no idleing or stalling problems.. for 5 bucks at walmart you save can save your sanityhope this helps /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

This sounds like mine but I changed the filter today and that wasnt it /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

Ken

15. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

have you tried adjusting your timing to find the best setting for your truck? Never hurts.

16. scoutillac

scoutillac 1/2 ton status

Hey the fuel filter worked for me too.

17. Frogg89

[ QUOTE ]
    have you tried adjusting your timing to find the best setting for your truck? Never hurts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats something Im still messing with!! I think I got it now!! It seems really advanced but I heard it has to be with a performance cam.

Thanks, Ken

18. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

If you have an 89, you need to disconnect the brown & Black wire for the timing to read it. If you dont, the computer takes hold of the advance.

Still can be a plugged fuel pump filter. Do you have any way of reading the pressure??

19. Frogg89

The brown and black wire??? Ive never had to do the timing since Ive had this truck!! Which wire is this??

20. scoutillac

scoutillac 1/2 ton status

It is right out of the fuse block on the engine side of the firewall. There is a quick connect plug. I over looked mine several times before I found it.