Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

truck idles but won't drive, need help ASAP!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Clod_King, Dec 12, 2006.

1. Clod_King

Clod_King 1/2 ton status

I am buying an 89 chevolet suburban off of a guy from CK5, Fireplug, is his forum name I beleive.

It has a 350TBI, NP241, and a 700R4.

It has been in storage for the past year, and the fuel is still in there from when it was last parked. It has been driven short distances every now and then aswell, so it used to run.

The primer fuel pump has been rigged to a button to bypass the computer because it stopped working. And he had been driving with that setup for a while, so he knows it works. but now the main fuel pump quit operating, whether it be broken, or not getting a signal we do not know.

The engine runs, and idles off of that primer pump now, and I wanted to limp it to a mechanic to get it on the road. But as soon as we put it in drive, or reverse, the truck shuts down. We don't know why either. It will drive for about a 2-3 seconds, then stus down automatically.

We've even tried keeping the RPM's up, and holding the brake down at the same time and just inching along. It still shuts down.

The engine runs, and idles excellently, so we are baffled.

Could it the computer just shutting it down? Can we fix this? Is it cheap? I need to know ASAP because winter is coming, and i am sick and tired of riding my bike in the cold for a half hour everyday coming home from work. Plus I simply need a vehicle, and this truck is bad@ss. please help, thanks guys.

2. broncoman6524

broncoman6524 1/2 ton status

you *could* have a vacuum leak although yuo said it idles like a charm. check your firing order...it could be set up backwards, if its not make sure that the #1 plug wire is on the #1 plug wire plug in thingy on the cap. lol. we had a nova in auto that did this same thing...it was wired backwards and off by 1 plug wire (didnt start #1 at #1) LOL

good luck if thats not it it could be the fuel. how long did it sit? i ran ****ty gas taht was in a wrecked truck taht sat for 2 years and my truck would idle but tahts it, i put about 3 things of gas treatment in and it went away. just some ideas. lol

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

What is the primer pump? It may not be enough pressure to actually run the engine. The system sounds a bit convoluted to me, so I'd try and get that figured out.

Doubt it's an ECM issue, it's job is to keep the engine running, not kill it. :)

Try running 12V to the fuel pump relay jumper and see if the main pump will work. If it will, see if it will drive like that.

4. Clod_King

Clod_King 1/2 ton status

I am going to check the wires next time I am up.

I know the setup sounds weird, but apparently it worked for a while with that setup, and no problems at all.

Can you buy the fuel treatment stuff from Canadian tire? I was just going to idle the tank empty, and fill it with new fuel.

I really want to get this thing driving, so I may just bring it to a mechanic, because it has to be safetied, and E-tested anyways. get it all done in one shot I geuss. But i would like to drive it there. The temporary permit is already bought and everything. It would save me the towing charges atleast.

5. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Try a fuel filter, too. A clogged fuel filter will cause exactly those symptoms.