Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

@#$)(&@(#*&@#$ TRUCK IM GONNA SCREAM!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MudNurI, Sep 26, 2002.

1. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

I am sooooooooo close to sending this truck over a cliff!

Today- head into parts store to get new bolts for my top- missing 4 of them-

parts guy asks how the trucks coming- great, fixing things that don't really need it, etc...

leave the parts store, head to center of town- small town, down the hill- step on brakes- HA NO BRAKES! light comes on dash- smoke POURS out from under my truck, and the front brakes grab a TINY bit. Stop the truck in parking lot right next to road, ONLY available place says "NO PARKING"..well im gonna etc..

Call the local PD tell them- truck is there because lost brakes, don't ticket me etc.. will move it as soon as I replace the part that broke. HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA

call friend, get a ride home- 5 minute ride MAX,,get car, head down hill TICKET on my truck- P*SSED head to PD- toss ticket at dispatcher- I know him, thank god. tell him to rip it up, i'm not paying it etc..

Head back to the parts store- walk in guy says- uutt oohh, so I say- you sell brake lines? NO WAY......yup I say, lost my brakes as I left here. LIVID i am!

John gets home tonight, I had picked up a few pieces of brake line, and some compression fittings to hold it over to get home...yeah right! The entire line, from front of the muffler- to the tire needs to be replaced. Yeah, we can do that in a parking lot...SURE...original brake lines- 16 years old. HA! so I look at JOhn he looks at me... I say- I'm not driving it... he jumps in, I go in front of him in his truck. and away we go.

Remember that muffler that gets REALLY hot- well guess which side the brake line is broke? YUP same side...so the entire way home- brake fluid is spraying all over the muffler- which is about 50000000000 degrees...smoke so bad you cant see the truck.............it's parked outside..first $5 on my door takes it. /forums/images/icons/mad.gif

Brandy

2. That sucks!
    So you called up the police and asked them to give you a ticket? /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif
    Ya know, a pair of vise grips to clamp off the rubber brake line going to the rear would have made it driveable for that short trip ... just a thought if it happens again.

And I'll give you $10 /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

3. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Mud,
    Sucks to hear that! I had a bad truck experience today also, so don't feel too bad /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Atleast it's an easy fix.
    Oh, and Roxin' is right, all you need to do, it clamp that hose and you're straight /forums/images/icons/smile.gif
    Boss

4. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

if it happens again I WILL drive it off a cliff. !!

I couldn't believe the ticket myself...nor could I believe my bad luck lately! Saturday is another round of Suburban shopping- you wait the salesman will try to tell me some stupid story about WHY I NEED to have barn doors!

Brandy

5. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

you do, barn doors are better!

sorry to hear about that, if i lived in VT i'd be at your door with the $5. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

6. fright89

fright89 1/2 ton status

Im in mass. only got $4.50. Let me look around maby i can find some chang.

7. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Those hard lines are cheap. Autozone and pepgirls usualy has them in stock. I would have fixed it on the spot. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

8. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

We would have fixed it on the spot- however we don't have an autozone, or pepgirls near here,,just mom and pop parts stores.

The other thing we would have run into is the fact that these are the original lines, crumbling when you touch them etc... we would have ended up with much bigger problems had we messed with it.

Oh well- she will sit until next spring when I feel like touching it again....it was almost time to take the insurance off anyway- halloween is our day to cancel the summer rigs...only missed a month.

Brandy

9. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Sorry to hear that. As far as fixing lines with compression fittings (NOT a good idea). Get hard lines, flare kit, and inverted flare unions to join brake lines. For what it's worth, if you are planning on keeping this vehicle (even if only a trail vehicle) and seeing as how you live in the salt belt. I would contact www.inline.tube or www.classictube.com and order up a set of STAINLESS brake lines front to back. They come prebent with all the correct fittings and unions. It will take a good day to put them in, but then you won't have to touch them for a LONG time, and considering the peice of mind and corrosion protection, they aren't that bad price wise. That's what I did on my 80 and if the lines start going (P.O. just replaced) on my 78 I am going to do stainless on them as well.

Again sorry about the bad luck with the truck and parking ticket, but at least it's fixable.

10. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

The compression fittings were just to get it home, with working rear brakes. It would have been safer than none, which we ended up with anyway..

John ordered extended stainless braided lines today, he did not say where from......will put them in next spring....along with everything else I wanted to do this year... It's a good thing I was busy yesterday, or I would have put up a listing parting it out.... those new GM panels could have covered what i paid for the truck! (with no exposure to salt yet!)

Brandy

11. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

brake fluid spraying all over the muffler

did you know brake fluid is highly flammable????

as is tranny fluid, ask me how i know /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

12. k5ntexas

k5ntexas 1/2 ton status

how do you know?

jacob

13. BIG STEVE

BIG STEVE Registered Member

I HAD A 63 IMPALA SS STOLEN TURNED IT IN ADAMS CO NORTH SIDE DENVER 3 DAYS LATER A GUY I KNOW CALLED ME AND WONDERD
    WHY MY CAR WAS BROKEN DOWN ALONG 6TH AVE FREEWAY IN DENVER
    WENT DOWN THERE IT HAD A PARKING TICKET ON IT THEY STOLE
    THEWHEELS OF IT AND WERE DITCING IT ONE WHEEL WAS TOO SMALL BROKE BRAKE DRUM AND LOCKED UP A WHEEL PAID LIKE A 100 BUCKS FOR THE CHEASY USED MAGS THE FACTORY TACH WAS WORTH 3 TIMES THAT COPS AND ROBBERS DUHH.
    90 JIMMY

14. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

15. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

Brandy,
    You better get that truck straight before Aug. 9th 2003 or Donna will be pissed. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

16. BIG STEVE

BIG STEVE Registered Member

Whoe read what i replied last night freinds shouldnt
    let freinds drink and type /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif
    The only thing they stoled were those cheesey mags.
    Then the cops put a parking ticket on a stolen car /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif
    90 jimmy

17. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

you arent kidding Pete. I think I'll get skid plates for the D/A, and cruise that instead! Wouldn't John be happy /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

Maybe by then I wont be so mad at it...right now, the only thing I can do is spit at it when I walk by... /forums/images/icons/mad.gif

Brandy