Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

truck improvement idea

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by big d, Jul 21, 2002.

1. big d

big d 1/2 ton status

i noticed when i had my top off alittle while back some crumbley surface rust on top of the bed rails (probabley normal for a 79'), and it got me to thinking(i do that some times /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif )why couldnt a person pick up some plastic bed rail caps/protectors like the newer pickups have and drill em' for the topper mount holes and put em' on a blazer ? /forums/images/icons/confused.gif i think it would look sharp,clean up the area and protect at the same time. as long as a person cleaned up any x-cessive rust or problem areas id think it would work and i plan to do so soon. hope this helps others. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

2. backyardbuilt

backyardbuilt 1/2 ton status

sounds like a great idea to me As long as there not to thick to make the topper bolts to short. but it would really dress up the truck with it off.

3. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I'm going to do that, but with al dimondplate ones. Just make sure you have a good coat of paint below or it will be rust city.

4. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

If your going to use diamond plate rails, you will want to make sure that the seal on your top is in good order or it won't seal against the raised diamond pattern on the aluminum diamond plate.

5. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I should have been more clear. The '73 has no top or doors!

6. StonerK5

StonerK5 1/2 ton status

Then the possibilites are endless /forums/images/icons/cool.gif