Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Truck is buckin like a ... like a... bronco?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Pookster, Aug 12, 2003.

1. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

This is most definately related to springs or shocks. When I hit bumps, the whole truck goes up and down a few times. THe shocks are new, so its not that per say, and it happens a lot off road. I want it to be smoother...almost caddy like.

I have some rediculously stiff springs up front, and the stock rear springs with the echobit flip out back. Should I drop two leaves in the front, and see how the ride is?

is the whole problem caused by mismatched spring rates front and back? Suggestions? Help!

2. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

is your rear drive shaft binding up? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif
    What I am thinking is that the rear flip moved the axel almost 1.5 in forward and when you hit a bump it slid closed all the way
    just look and check

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I don't know I have hard springs in the back of my k5 and stockers up front and it doesn't buck. When those rear tires hit a bump they get airborne /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

4. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Man, shoulda just stuck you in the truck last sat and gotten your opinion that way! Nah, there's plenty of slip left on the 208, so, its not that. Its just that the spring seems super extra bouncy, like a different tigger in each spring.

[ QUOTE ]
    is your rear drive shaft binding up? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif
    What I am thinking is that the rear flip moved the axel almost 1.5 in forward and when you hit a bump it slid closed all the way
    just look and check

[/ QUOTE ]

5. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

I am grabbing at straws hear but what is the PSI in your tires let it down a little /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

did you overtighten the front springs ??? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Well what is all I think of did someone make a spring pack out of I beams /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif just kidding /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

good luck

6. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Hahhaha.. I beams. I think its more like pogo sticks. Yeah, I tried letting the air out down to 15PSI, still does the same thing. Thought maybe it was just binding up. Acutally, now that you mention it.. I did loosen up the bushing bolt, but have yet to loosen up the top part of the shackle. I guess I'll try that next. wish there was an easy way to inject some hot grease into the middle of the bushing. *doh*

[ QUOTE ]
    I am grabbing at straws hear but what is the PSI in your tires let it down a little /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

did you overtighten the front springs ??? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Well what is all I think of did someone make a spring pack out of I beams /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif just kidding /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

good luck

[/ QUOTE ]

7. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Dampening is a big issue with our trucks, especially at speed. Most off the shelf shocks offer a 50/50 dampening which means it resists movement the smae in both directions. With a heavy truck and stiff springs, the rebound after compression tends to return faster than the shock can resist it and you get bounce. If you stiffen the dampeing rate of the shock (like setting a Rancho 9000 on the stiffest settin : 5) it helps to resist rebound but also stiffens the compression which causes it to ride like a board. High end shocks like Bilsteins/Fox/etc offer a heavier dampening rate on rebound than on compression, which helps to counter the bounce your speaking of. Tailoring this requires valving the shock to your spring rate, travel and the weight of the truck which an off the shelf shock just cant compete with. If your going to loosen your shackle bolts and/or leaf spring bolts, do yourself a favor and go buy some 9/16" nylock nuts so they can be left loose without the risk of them falling off.