Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Truck is dying out,stalling...??????????....

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by diesel4me, Dec 15, 2006.

1. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

While driving my truck last night,it decided to bog out and die right after I put some fuel in--(co-incidental I think)..I figured my add-on electric fuel pump had once again lost power (something I thought I fixed recently!--loose wire in the fuse box)..but after I coasted into a parking lot,I could feel the pump running,and the truck did re-start after about 5 seconds of cranking,and got me to my destination about a mile away..

When I got there, I removed an in line gas filter I'd installed between the fuel tank and the electric pump--thinking perhaps the pump couldn't suck enough fuel with it being on the suction side..it wasn't clogged ,I could blow thru it fairly easy--but I decided to eliminate it anyway..the truck has a WIX 33123 canister style fuel filter /separator on the firewall too,but no "secondary" filter in the valley pan area like some others like mine I've seen..

This was not the first time my truck has "bogged out" like it ran out of fuel,and it has surged a few times on the highway--but it always fires up again without much cranking,and the weird thing is I can see smoke coming out of the tailpipes as its "dying",so I'm wondering if it IS fuel that its lacking--why would it still be throwing soot if its got a clogged filter??...it wont act up unless I am heavy on the throttle,or am going fast on the highway--around town it seems fine..

I've gone through a list of things that could cause this,all I can come up with is perhaps the fuel shut off switch on the injector pump is failing??--or maybe the return lines to the fuel tank are clogged or restricted??..my engine seems to be more noisy too,the crackling diesel sound is a lot louder in my 6.2 than my friends truck..is that due to it running lean??..

I haven't changed the fuel filter (WIX one on the firewall) since I bought the truck 3 years ago--but it looked recent,and I have only driven it maybe 1500 miles since..took a sample of fuel in a glass jar out of the water drain,it looks clear and no water or other crud in it..with the electric pump on fuel flows freely out of the drain valve,but I didn't try the line that feeds the injector pump for fear of getting it airbound,then I'd be walking home!...

So--anyone got a clue??--should I just waste 20 bucks replacing the WIX filter,which to me does not appear to be clogged or contaminated?..or do you guys think its something more serious,like the injector pump??..the engine runs with a misfire at idle sometimes,always has..sounds almost like a sticking valve on a gas engine--it'll skip,then smooth out intermittently..but once its past idle its smooth..its just when I romp on it to pull out into traffic or pass,that it seems to die out or "flatten",and not accelerate..I am running both the electric pump and the stock lift pump since I got the truck,so I can't say that is causing this..

Its got me baffled--and pissed!..I have very little money and a LOT of things to fix on this truck now..it needs other important stuff like brake work,oil pan,draglink ends..I'm ready to burn the F'n thing...:( :mad:

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Do you run any fuel additives regularly? It had been a while since I had added some, and my truck did sit for quite a while. When we had that cold snap a few weeks ago my truck ran kinda weird until it warmed up and did stall on me once at work. Freaked me out...it's never done that before.

I added some fuel additive and haven't had any real trouble since. It also varied between very 'clattery' and very quiet...which made me think housing pressure was somehow being affected. When clattery it had a ton of power, and when quiet it almost fell on it's face. I'm still not sure what the cause was but it has run quite a bit better since chucking the additive in the last half tank.

Rene

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Yes I do...

I have not added any fuel treatment the past few times I put diesel in it--but I have not filled my tank completely full in a LONG time--I just toss in 5-10 bucks worth at a time,due to being low on cash...I did however,add about a 1/4 bottle of "Power Service" fuel treatment I had stashed behind the seat when I first started using the truck again..didn't really notice any big difference..

I've driven it yesterday since I removed that inline fliter I added before the electric fuel pump,and so far it hasn't stalled or bogged--but I didn't go on the highway and really put it to the test either..I'm not exactly hot on getting stranded somewhere,since I have NO ONE I can call to come to my rescue (and no cell phone either!)...I might just change the WIX filter anyway,and see if that makes it run any better or worse..

Its funny you mention the noise level and power level seem to be related..my friends ramp truck with a 6.2 from a school bus is quiet as a church mouse--probably the quietest 6.2 I've heard yet!..but its a DOG as far as power,even with a SM465 tranny..another guys '90 6.2 sounded quiet and was gutless too...my truck on the other hand,sounds like a bag of rocks in a stonecrusher compared to theirs,but runs much stronger..

I also notice the sound level and idle quality changes if I switch the electric pump off..and if I leave it off,and try driving it on the highway,it does just what I've described--it bogs out, and eventually it stalls..(I found this out the hard way when the power wire to the pump came loose from the fuse box!)...I dunno,maybe that electric pump is not pumping correctly all the time?..I'll see if changing the fuel filter helps,but I doubt it will,seeing the "piss test" I gave it came up clean with no dirt or water in the fuel (out of the filter drain anyway--the fuel tank might be a different story!)...

I almost feel like its a clump of goo blocking the "sock" in the fuel tank,that gets sucked up against it and cuts the fuel flow off,because it re-starts pretty easy without a lot of cranking--if I had air leaks or a clogged filter,I'd think it would have to be cranked over quite some time before it would re-start..I'm hoping the filter and some additive will cure it--I have enough other troubles right now,dont need this!..:(