Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Truck is sending out smoke signals, now what?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Blazer_Boy, Oct 4, 2001.

1. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

'81 K5 w/ stock '78 350

Well since I have my '82 tore apart doing a rework I needed a Blazer to drive. So I dropped the bad transmission in the '81 K5 and had it overhauled. The truck sat for 15 months so some things were a little groggy. It had a mild head gasket leak and put out a cloud of white smoke, sweet burnt smell, and the ground was slighty moist under the driver's pipe. I dumped in some stop leak and some GM top engine cleaner and absolutely all smoking ceased.

I pull home today and as soon as I stop a little cloud of smoke popped up in the back. So I cussed a little and thought I had to change the head gaskets which would a pain cause in a few months I was gonna redo it and drop in some 9.5:1 pistons and a cam. I stuck my head in the back and took a drag off the ol' pipe and it didn't smell sweet at all, no liquid comming out, just smelled like a motor running rich. Anyways, I pulled all the plugs on the driver's side, all were very clean but no. 7 was moist. I went in the house and came back about 5 minutes later and the plug dried off and it was clean looking all the sudden. I put it back and there was very very little smoke out the bad side. I reved it up and it smoked a little bit and backed off after it reved down. There was no missing or loss of power.

Do you think its something as stupid as a plug or a wire. The plugs look very clean and I didn't notice any cracks but the wires I can't remember how long its been since those have been changed.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/bigkern76>http://www.geocities.com/bigkern76</a>

2. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>Was the smoke kind of gray colored? The fact that the plug cleaned off imediatly leads me to belive it had ATF on it. Check the vaccum modulator on the trans if your trans has one

3. Blazer_Boy

Hmm, never thought about that.... I didn't have anything that smelled like ATF on it but my modulator is the original one. I'm gonna go pull the line by the intake and check for fluid right now.

OK...pulled the line its clean as a whistle. I moved to some clean concrete and the only marks on the ground are two small evenly sized patches of carbon from the exhaust when I reved it. It seems like the problem has quit all of the sudden. I did jiggle the no. 7 wire boots and stuff so it could just be a loose wire. This sucker hasn't had a tune up in ages.

4. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>Time for a tune up then. What color was the smoke? Blueish is oil, black means its rich (like if one of the plugs isnt firing) and gray is ATF

5. Blazer_Boy

A little dark and gassy. The carb needs a rebuild too. Its a good ol truck though. Sat for that long and nothing else really seemed to miss a beat.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/bigkern76>http://www.geocities.com/bigkern76</a>