Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Truck is turning off

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by AzzKicker, Nov 15, 2002.

1. AzzKicker

AzzKicker 1/2 ton status

Just today for the first time my trucks turned off while driving. I need advice on where to start. I was driving to a friends house and noticed while a stop light the truck wanted to turn off. Well light turned green I went and it drove fine, then i pulled into friends house and put the brakes and it turns off. So I get down at friends, get some stuff to eat come back and truck turns on fine but i notice it wants to shut off so I give it gas and it stays fine. Well On my way home at a stop sign it turns off, I turn it back on , but it taks kinda long to get it going, like if fuel isnt getting injected. So after a while it turns and I put it in drive and haul ass all the way home, well as I'm approaching my house it turns off even while driving so I coase to side of road. I put it in park and start her back up. Then I go and as i drive into garage she turns off again. Then I drive in completely and truck stays on, i get down to call my dad, he comes out checks truck out, its still on and running fine like nothing happend. So i take him for a test run and at stops it wants to turn off but doesnt.

Where do I start my trouble shooting. Do you think its fuel filter related. or Pump related.

2. RLBstein

RLBstein 1/2 ton status

Just my 2-cents. I had a similar problem one time when I was in high school (long time ago) in my blazer and brought it to a friends dad's house who had a diesel burban. He had found a bad wire or rather a bad fusible link that went from the fire wall (a junction point that has hot leads on it). He put in a new wire and my problem was solved. I wasnt too mechanically inclined back then to figure out what the wire went to or what it did, but it did fix my problem. It could have been power to the pump, i don't really know. Just a thought.

3. AzzKicker

AzzKicker 1/2 ton status

UPDATE:

I opened air valve on both my factory filter and my aftermarket setup and noticed a LOAD of air spirting out with a little bit a fuel. So thats the problemo there, I'm getting a lot water in there somehow. I bleed the air truck runs fine until it gets more air then it shuts off.

4. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

Check your rubber fuel lines from the fuel lift pump to the hard fuel line, and the rubber lines back at the tank(s) and switching valve if you have one. Could also be the fuel lift pump failing.

Sounds like the pump is sucking air instead of fuel.

Casey

5. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

I agree with arveetek! You're sucking air bad! I had a similar problem in one of my trucks and the hummevees do it all the time! My problem hapteened to be a blown fuel pump! It blew out the side and was squirting fuel everywhere! Just so happens that unlees you get enough pressure at the injector pump, it won't fire! Check all you hoses for cracks, if there's a crack, it doesn't mean that fuel will be leaking from it! It only has to suck air from the hole and then you have air in the line and it compresses! If the air compresses then your injectors won't work right and bam, wants to shut off! Your fuel pump could also have a bad diaphram which means it could be pushing fluid into the oil, check your oil for diesel smell! It could be a number of places, but it is definatly a hole of somesort! Hope this helps!

6. AzzKicker

AzzKicker 1/2 ton status

UPDATE:

Replaced Filters, and Fuel Pump and still no go. I have a extra filter system thats off an 18wheeler rig. I replaced those as well and filled them with diesel. I replace Fuel pump and start to air bleed her but nothing!! So I remove the hose and start to crank to see if fuel is even PUMPING and nothing!!! Its as if the fuel tank is empty.

One thing that concerns me is that this truck has Dual tanks but not from factory. the PO must have installed them. My question is, could a switch have gone bad, could a fuse have blown thats causing the truck not to get fuel from tank.

7. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

Do you have a switch on the center of the dash that switches tanks??? If so, that switch or the electrical valve that switches tanks could be out! Try disconnecting the input of the fuel pump and put it in a bottle of fuel, then crank and see if you get output! If so, the problem is not the pushrod, if not,Bam! Also, all trucks with dual tanks that I've worked on have had an inline filter on the frame along the passenger side! If the PO put a dual tank setup from another truck on yours, then he might have used that inline filter as well! Check that too! Can you successfuly switch tanks? does the gauge move?

8. AzzKicker

AzzKicker 1/2 ton status

Yes, when I switch the tanks, the guage moves from FULL to Empty. But thats because the other tank is EMPTY. I'm thinking of just removing the other tank and making this a Single tank setup. I'm gonna check what you said first before I make this decission