Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Truck just shuts off ???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by njonl, Nov 20, 2003.

1. njonl

njonl 1/2 ton status

Hi all,

Recently I was driving to school and my truck just shut off. No studder or anything. Just a clean cut-off. Today, I was driving to work and I made a left hand turn and it just shut off again. Any idea's ? I drive an '85 fullsize Blazer with a stock carbed 350. Thanks,

Nick

2. rcpilot

rcpilot 1/2 ton status

Couple of things... Do you have tilt wheel?? If so both times it shut off were you in a turn? If so then the u-joint in the tilt could be worn causing the rod between the key lock cylinder to move and thus turning off the ignition.. or is the truck up to normal temp when this happens? If so will it re-start after a bit? If so then the coil is shutting down once it gets hot..
    Hope this helps /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

i had this exact same prob and couldnt figure it out. ended up being the ground on the alternator was loose. also, check all fusable links

NITRO

4. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Does the radio go dead also?Check battery connections

5. Ben

Ben Registered Member

I read something here, what is it? "Try and be more vague, I'm practicing my mindreading skills."
    You need to provide the readers with more information if you want help. What, radio also quits? Lights go out? You turning the steering wheel? Are you at a standstill? On a hill? Just to up and die sounds like an electricial failure.
    No shuddering or jerking?

6. njonl

njonl 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I read something here, what is it? "Try and be more vague, I'm practicing my mindreading skills."
    You need to provide the readers with more information if you want help. What, radio also quits? Lights go out? You turning the steering wheel? Are you at a standstill? On a hill? Just to up and die sounds like an electricial failure.
    No shuddering or jerking?

[/ QUOTE ]

If I had any of those problems, I would have mentioned them. Don't have a radio so that's not a problem. Did it once when I turned the wheel but the rest of the time I will be stopped GOING STRAIGHT and it dies. No shuddering. Just cuts out.

7. chevblazk5

chevblazk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I had a same problem few months ago. It turned out to be the ignition switch.

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Maybe just have the truck running, and move around the truck grabbing wires and moving them.

If it's an intermittent problem like that, sounds like a bad connection somewhere more than anything.

Ever had an alarm in the vehicle? Make sure the ignition wire, etc., hasn't been tampered with, and check all splices that aren't factory, as usually they are poorly done, and can cause these type of problems.

Had a car once that had a poorly spliced coil wire. Ended up leaving it at a friends house one time because it wouldn't start.

9. njonl

njonl 1/2 ton status

What about the possibility of the fuel pump or fuel filter ? It has stuttered at one time but it did not result in the truck dying.

10. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If it is the pump or filter, next time it dies, without trying to restart it it, get out, pull the air cleaner off, look down the primaries of the carb, and move the throttle linkage. If you see fuel squirt out, its not a fuel delivery problem.