Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

truck not level

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by YELL78, Jan 4, 2006.

1. YELL78

YELL78 Registered Member

Hey guys just a quick question?
    i lifted my 78 abou a month ago and from side to side there is about a half an inch variance in height do any of toy have this problem and if so should i worry about it or is there somthing i can do to fix it.
    is there a posibility that the body mounts are the problem? If so what do you think about the bed? is there a chance that thats just the way it is
    any input you all can give would help with my delema.

2. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

Did you put new springs in all around? Could be your body mounts...

3. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

Is the 1/2" difference even noticeable?

4. gmcman7202

gmcman7202 1/2 ton status

where you measuring from? body or frame? my buddies 79 has a twisted frame noticible in the bed, had to space it out with washers to level it off. 1 inch from front left to rear left in the bed.

5. YELL78

YELL78 Registered Member

i put new springs in the front but i did not mention that the bumper in front sticks out abou 1/2 inch further on the driver side and the driver side tire is about 1/2 further forward in the wheel well than the pass side.

the only thing that has happened to the truck that i konw of is, the first (and only) owners grand son inherited the truck and drove it for a month or so and in the corse of that month he got it stuck in the mud about up to the hubs, and the grand son and a buddy of mine used a little 4x4 dodge D50 to pull it out but as we all know those trucks are gutless so they got a running start and yanked it out i konw for a fact that they attached the tow strap to the drivers side tow hook when the yanked on it. That just hapens to be the side that the tire and the bumper are not positioned right. im thinking this is where my problem started what do you all think?

6. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

When I lifted mine (different springs up front, shackle flip in back) she went lop-sided left-to-right. I ended up switching the rear springs left-to-right, and she balanced out. I didn't mark the rear springs, so they may have been switched, or it may have just settled over the years.

-- A