Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

truck not starting, ignition module AGAIN?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by XHitman396, Mar 25, 2005.

1. XHitman396

XHitman396 1/2 ton status

so about a year or two ago, my truck would randomly just shut off, then sometimes fire right back up, and sometimes take a long time, after replacing: wires, rotor, cap, coil we finally changed the ignition module and its worked fine for that long, then at rugby practice it took about 5 sets of turning over until it fired up, and a couple hours later at subway it started right up, then i shifted to reverse and it died, it was about 15 sets of turning over til it started up again and ran. after i get it to start, it runs perfectly (well as perfect as it ever has) and i have all the power, throttle response, etc. i always do. so what do ya'll think, ignition module again? fuel related? o by the way, i just got done replacing the driver's side fender if that means anything.. thanks...

2. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

id have to say intermittent electrical thing like hot to HEI, or maybe pickup a pickup coil wire breaking(had it happen to me before)
    or fuel related

carb or FI ? fuel pump weak if is FI ?
    first symptom of weak electric pump is usually always hard starts,

good luck

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I have had the problem with the truck randomly shutting off before. Once it was my Ignition coil and the other was my pickup coil. They would get hot and then shut off.

When my pickup coil was messing up last time it made it seem like my modules kept blowing. Sometimes it would start right up and be fine. Then I would go outside and it wouldn't start. Then an hour later it would start up. If I would change the module out it would run, but it would start the whole thing over again after a week or two.

I changed out the pickup coil and module and have not had the problem since. Checker hates me. I warrantied about 10 ignition modules before it was all said and done. Most likely none of them were bad, it was the pickup coil the whole time.

Harley

4. 7blazer5

7blazer5 Registered Member

A buddy of mine had the same exact problem, then we noticed that one of our friends had plugged in the coil on the HEI incorrectly. Hooked it up right and hasn't failed since:)