Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Truck only moves @ high RPM

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Panther212, Apr 10, 2003.

1. Panther212

Panther212 Registered Member

/forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

I'm freaking out here, cuz I just pulled the tcase and tranny to get to the rear freeze plugs (one got a rust hole), also changed tranny fluid and filter, got it all back together and now it takes almost flooring it to even move it. I'm wondering if it would have anything to do with the torque converter seating or the amount of fluid I put in. PLEASE, PLEASE help, as I need it to get to school tonight, and I'm really freaked out that I might have to rip everything apart again!

thanks

ADDED INFO...

I forgot to mention that when I bolted the flexplate to the torque converter the bolts pulled the converter about an eighth of an inch toward the motor... At the time I didn't think it would do anything, is this it????

2. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Sounds like your tranny went out. What color was the fluid in the tranny when you drained it? If it was real black and burnt, then that is what was shifting your tranny, and now that it has new fluid in it, it isnt going to move. That happens alot when a tranny hasnt been taken care of properly. For a temp fix to get to school for the next day or two you can pour a pint of brake fluid in it. It will eat away at the cluches and make them grab.

Dan

3. monte0172

monte0172 1/2 ton status

I agree but it could be you didnt put enough fluid back in it. It shoud take 5-10 quarts depending on if you dumped the fluid out of the converter or not.

4. Panther212

The fluid seemed normal, didn't really smell burnt, although the bottom of the tranny pan had some dark fluid...

Now I'm hoping it is the converter.... this sucks. I don't want to replace my tranny!!

5. Panther212

I put 4 quarts into it. It's a TH400, and I didn't dump the converter.

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Did you check fluid level after starting it and running it through all the gears and back to park? (while idling)

Typically they will suck some fluid up, but its also a good idea to let it get to full operating temperature BEFORE *completely* topping it off, as the fluid does expand a bit, and will go "overfull" if you fill it to the full mark while cold and running.

Sounds like you installed it correctly, if the converter isn't seated correctly, it will typically press against the flexplate before the tranny is bolted solidly to the block.

Shouldn't be your problem, but I had a TH400 that "failed", and it was the same symptom, high RPM's, hardly moving. The pump tangs had stripped out, but that was because I had installed a new converter when I rebuilt it, and the rebuilt torque converter was machined too "thin". Since yours is the original one, shouldn't be your problem.

7. Panther212

when I bolted the tranny to the block, the converter was about an eighth of an inch from the flexplate... I bolted it on, and of course, the bolts pulled it that 8th of an inch toward the motor.

This sucks. I'm gonna go idle it for a while and check the fluid level...

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

My procedure is this:

Fill until fluid gets up to the "full" mark on the dipstick. Start vehicle, run over to the dipstick, check it again. Add until the fluid is back to full, or very close. Run through all gears with the vehicle idling, recheck fluid level. If it's close to full, wait until the engine is up to operating temp, and top it off.

I'm very paranoid of starving auto trannies of even the slightest bit of fluid, but I know that a little bit less than full will be ok, especially if its for 5 minutes, with the engine idling.

9. monte0172

monte0172 1/2 ton status

Check the fluid while running and if its full then sorry dude its fried. I know how you fell though mine died 4 months ago then again last week. I feel your pain.

10. monte0172

monte0172 1/2 ton status

If your willing to ship it to memphis TN then i have a buddy of mine that rebuild them pretty cheap and does an excellent job.

11. Panther212

Would putting in 2/3 quart of type FA ATF screw it up? Cuz that's what I just did /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif. Stupid bottle said ATF in huge letters (I was like yay ATF, pour it in), and small letters that said type FA for fords (DOE!)... I haven't run it, but it looks like I didn't quite fill it up all the way. Now it's full, with 2/3 quart of FA ATF... should I run it or dump it?

12. monte0172

monte0172 1/2 ton status

Run it it wont hurt it us racing guys do it on occasion to make the transmission shift harder but we use all type F. But the only problem is it dont last to long it blows the seals out from pressure. But just a little wont hurt it at all.

13. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

The ford type fluid is thicker, and would actually make it shift harder than not moving. Most of you shift kit in a bottle stuff like B&M is ford type fluid. BTW I sent you a pm.

Dan

14. ratlover

ratlover 1/2 ton status

Ford fluid also aint as slippery and it will shift a bit more firm, youll be fine though.

Keep leting her run in and checking the fluid, sometimes it takes awhile for all the air to get out. Sounds like you are low on fluid. Or all the new fluid ate up the varnish and stuff keeping the old tranny together and it nuked itself. Dont change the trany fluid in a vehical that has never had it done regularly. If it hasnt had a change in 100k most likely it will be fubar if you change it.

15. Panther212

PROBLEM FIXED!!!

yeah, about 12 bucks later and the tranny eating up another gallon and 3 quarts, we're all good. thank the lord, I thought my TH400 was toast... damn those things hold a lot of ATF! Thanks for the quick replys and all the info, it's comforting to know that I've got all your help whenever I need it

panther out... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif