Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Truck powered out!??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TWISTEDJACK, Sep 3, 2002.

1. TWISTEDJACK

TWISTEDJACK 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I was on an obstical similar to the dump bump and tried to ease up it but the truck wouldn't move as soon as I started the climb. I have a 350/400/205/4.10/35" combo. It wasn't a fuel problem because I have a Holley projection. Do I need deeper gears or what? I know a doubler would be nice
    but I don't have the $$$ for that right now. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

2. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

didya have it in 4 low ? and was the face vertical ?

3. TWISTEDJACK

Yeah, is was in low, the face was vertical. The only way to get up it was to back up a foot and then hit it. When I
    got it moving it climbed up the rock face. Scared the crap out of my spotter!!

4. TWISTEDJACK

Do I need lower gears or more grunt under the hood?

5. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

I see that you have an auto tranny. When my cousin and her boy friend came down to go wheeling with us in the dunes, his dodge wouldnt pick up enough tranny fluid to engage sometimes on extreme angles. It would work fine once we got it back on level ground. Maybe this is what happened to you.

6. TWISTEDJACK

Possible, Like my auto for being able to ease over obsticals but after this weekend, I almost pulled it out
    and put in the 4 speed I have laying around. /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

7. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Get a SM465... gotta love the low gear ... 6.55 to one... wiht 4.56 in mine i have a crawl ratio of 77.8 or so.
    Its a good tranny, real strong and alot better than a 400 unless ya cant drive stick too well /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

8. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I don't think it's the auto specifically causing your problem. I have a very similar setup but your over-all crawl ratio is a little bit better than mine due to tire size. Mine bogs a bit too on some stuff like that and I have to bump it, but, usually I get tire spin before bogging down. In fact, I just did "dump bump" last weekend and had to bump just a tinny bit. Not because it bogged, but because my TSLs are not cut and slip on the slick-rock a bit. My rig has gotten lighter and even with only 7 lbs of air my TSLs are still pretty stiff. Could it be that your converter is not letting the engine get into it's torque range? My diesel converter stalls VERY low (someone said 600 rpm but I'm guessing a bit higher) and that causes some small problems getting over vertical stuff like water falls and such. Never had a problem not picking up fluid when at or near vertical or even laid on the side. Lower gears (BTW Rob, if your reading this, I hate you… /forums/images/icons/wink.gif ) with a doubler would be just the ticket. I would not go manual, but that's just me. There are trade-offs both ways and for me the auto wins the contest easily.

9. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

You found a decent trail in Idaho? Where? /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

10. TWISTEDJACK

Hey Sandman, I found a trail near Silver City, Short rocky
    creek bottom, tight turns but a a large rock pile at the top with a verticle face /forums/images/icons/cool.gif We have plenty of rock runs around here, tight rocky canyons and stuff. I will send you some pics later. As for the tranny problem /forums/images/icons/confused.gif
    Should I get a stall converter or just wait and get a doubler??????

11. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

in the long run, a stall converter, doubler and gears... but the least expensive way is the stall converter. easiest way is gears, if you can do them yourself... and then the doubler..
    grant