Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Truck Problems

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jakes4321, Feb 13, 2007.

1. jakes4321

jakes4321 Registered Member

Just picked up a 1985 gmc jimmy. I have a problem with the truck, it will start then just die out, then wont start and stinks like gas. I found these numbers on side on carb 17085227 I believe that it is a m4med carb. I think it is just the choke so I stuck a marker in the choke ( front flap of carb) but still wont start just cranks and stinks like gas. I dont know much about carbs at all. I was just going to go get a new carb tomorrow since I really need the truck running. Is there anything else I should do first. I was going threw this site and you guys seem very knowledgeable so I hope Someone can help. Thanks

2. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Sounds like it keeps flooding out...

Try this first:
    - Put gas to the floor
    - Crank the engine till it starts
    - Might need to feather the throttle a little to keep it going at first

3. TexasBlazerBoy

TexasBlazerBoy 1/2 ton status

Have you changed the fuel filter?

Try new gas?

4. Jrgunn5150

Jrgunn5150 1/2 ton status

+1 it's flooded for now, but by the time you read this, it shouldn't be.

5. jakes4321

Ok started the truck same thing ran great for about 2-3 mins then died....Stinks like gas. Tried holdin down the throttle still didnt start but it had to be flooded by the way it smells. Checked spark got it.. Started lookin aroundin looks like it could be leakin from the base of carb, hard to tell though cause it is snowin like mad in Chicago right now.
    Didnt change the filter, but with the choke problem I have I was just gonna get a rebuilt carb.
    Gas is from Mobile use it in my tbss.
    Thanks for your help guys.
    This sucks though tons of snow on the ground, New tires and rims on truck and cant use them....:(

6. xpndbl3

xpndbl3 1/2 ton status

i too am from the chicago area....all this snow sure looks like fun!!

7. jakes4321

Yeah was out in company truck 2002 Silverado 2500hd 4x4 with 6.0. That truck is great in the snow!!!

8. Jrgunn5150

Yeah the baseplate may be cracked, which would cause a massive crappy airleak. Just FYI, I got my Truck Avenger from Ebay for like 330 buck's. Edelbrocks are great too, if you want some lower cost alternatives to a rebuilt Qjet.

9. jakes4321

I called a carb shop that we use to do buisness with and he told me 225.00, To me that sounded pretty good. I think thats my best bet.

10. Jrgunn5150

Wow, that's a great deal, around here they want like 350 to 400, if you can find someone that can do it.

11. jakes4321

Went there today, they dont accept credit cards so I will go back tomorrow with cash.

12. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

First things first, have you given it a good visual inspection, and checked that all the ignition components are in order, along with all vacuum lines, etc.?

Rebuild kit is typically $20-25, for that kind of money it doesn't hurt to open it up and re-gasket, see if the problem goes away. They aren't hard to take apart or put together (IMO) and if the alternative is $225, I'd try it myself first.

Besides, even if there is a tune issue as well, if you rebuild it, you can probably have the same shop tune it after you do your part.

Only one thing most people can't/won't do themselves, and that's bush the primary throttle shaft. Around $40 last I had it done.

13. jakes4321

Seems like all vacuum lines and ignition parts are in order....
    I just dont feel comfortable takin the carb apart. I would rather just get a carb from somewhere that knows what they are doing then fooling with something I know nothing about. The truck ran great the day before besides the fact I had to put a marker in the choke to start it. I am going to do a complete tune up on the truck tomorrow when I install the new carb.

14. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I just realized that it could be your floats and or needle seats that might be stuck open and flooding the crap out the engine.

15. Jrgunn5150

Good call! Try tapping it lightly where the fuel line enters the carb, on the carb body with a wrench.

16. jakes4321

I think thats whats happening. I tapped the carb it worked for a bit then blahhhhh, flooded out. I am just going with rebuilt carb, taking this one off and try to rebuild it.
    I seem to have an extra parts for this truck already.(2) 205 transfer case's,(1) sm465 large input, (1) sm465 small input, and going to pick up a th400 with a 205 bolted to it.