Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Truck pullin' and making weird noise when turning.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by SkulzNBonz, Nov 18, 2002.

1. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

Truck pullin\' and making weird noise when turning.

Sorry in advance for a post about my truck making a weird noise. Here's the scoop. When I amm making a left turn only, I can feel something pulling and can hear a dull popping noise. I am going to pull the wheel off when I get home from work, but was wondering if anyone had a similar experience. sorry for the newb question.

John

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

Re: Truck pullin\' and making weird noise when turning.

<font color="green"> Sounds like a bad left steering joint to me. </font color>

3. K5thatShmobs

K5thatShmobs 1/2 ton status

Could it be that maybe one of your hubs is slightly still locked? If you've put it in four wheel drive recently, perhaps you should put it into four wheel drive, roll forward, stop, put it in 2WD and reverse it for like 50-60 feet. This will ensure that your hubs are completely unlocked.

4. SkulzNBonz

Steering joint...uhh huhhh?? Are you refering to a tie rod end or a ball joint? As for still being slightly engaged in 4 wheel drive, I have manual hubs and haven't been in 4 wheel drive for about a month. I didn't get a chance to dig into it last night, so I'm going to look at it Today.

John

5. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Could be lots of things but check your wheel bearings, balljoints, and tie-rod ends, as those would make the most sense of making that noise if you have not been in 4WD for awhile.

6. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> The u-joint thingy between the inner and outer axleshafts. </font color>

7. SkulzNBonz

The u joint, ok, now I understand. Thanks all, I look at this junk tonight. For the life of me I can't figure out why it started doing this now, when I have been abusing the heck out of it on the trails with no probs, but drivin' around on the street and it starts actin' up. Maybe it misses wheelin'!! Thanks again.

John