Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Truck pulling to right hard when braking

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Lotsa_Faith, Jun 25, 2005.

1. Lotsa_Faith

Lotsa_Faith 1/2 ton status

What could it be? I need to get it fixed cause it was just kinda doing it but i put new pads on today and now its flat out diving into the other lane. I still have the rubber brakelines, could that be it? if not then what i'm clueless on brakes.

2. puckhead

puckhead 1/2 ton status

its most likely a caliper or line probably on the left side, is where the problem is. have a friend hold the brakes while you try to turn the tire (with vehicle up in the air). then have him slowly release brakes and compare side to side what you feel

3. puckhead

puckhead 1/2 ton status

i had a locked up left caliper on mine but my brakes were dragging and not pulling

4. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

also will friend is there. have him or her:D hold the brakes and just as thay let go open the bleader and no pressure should be left. if pressure is there that hose or line has a plug of some sort in it. hoses do go bad on the inside from time to time.

5. LongIslander26

LongIslander26 1/2 ton status

Pulling brakes

Have your alignment checked. Pulling to one side could mean that you've lost some caster as the springs have settled. Solid axle 4X4's like alot of caster,and about zero toe and camber. Caster is generally in the neighborhood of about 5-6 degrees. There are kits available that can give you SOME adjustment without having to shim the axle, but if you've installed a lift and adjusted the pinion angle to compensate, then you've lost some, and it will be diffivult to restore. It's a "Can't have your cake" situation.

6. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Mine did that....had a sticking caliper . Changed the calipers something like $20 each at Autozone....bled 'em down. Problem solved. IIRC your right caliper leaked after it was reinstalled but quit shortly after. Best guess is caliper issues. Cheap and easy fix...you got my number.

7. LongIslander26

LongIslander26 1/2 ton status

Brakes pulling.

It could be the rubber brake lines, yes. I had the same problem. The rubber brake lines swell rather than transmit the fluid pressure to the caliper. If the caliper was seized, you would have noticed that when you collapsed it to put the new pads in. (Did you have the rotors machined, or just pad slap it?) I replaced the hoses, calipers and did a complete front brake job, repacked and adjusted the bearings and everything. Same problem, dove to the right real bad when stopping. Put it on the alignment rack, had a 2 degree difference between the right and the left caster. Set it back to specs, problem solved. Most places won't charge you to just check the specs, only if they actually align it.

8. Grieby54

Grieby54 1/2 ton status

been mudding lately? you might consider cleaning them off because if you get some mud on there it can cause a bit of a pull