Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Truck Pulling to the Right During Braking *(UPDATE)* At Bottom

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 1-ton, Jul 1, 2004.

1. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

[​IMG]
    1991 Chevrolet V3500 Crew Cab 4X4 P/U

I bought this truck several months ago and have since then replaced all of the steering linkage, king pins, steering knuckle spring and bushings, new tires, steering stabilizer, bearings, races, seals, rotors, drums, shoes, pads, brake hardware, calipers, wheel cylinders, master cylinder, and wheel studs.

The truck had a 4" lift kit added to it just before I bought it; so all the leaf springs, bushings, U-bolts, and leaf spring centering pins are new. I have checked all the suspension for loose nuts and bolts, and could not find any.

I also put a steering gear box stabilizer bracket on it, and inspected the frame for cracks, and there where none. When I recently purchased the new tires for it I had it aligned as well, but even after the alignment the truck still drifted to the right slightly, which did not bother me too much.

The problem is when I hit the brakes. With the all new front and rear brakes I put on the truck, it stops on a dime, but it pulls to the right kind of hard. When I hit the brakes the steering wheel stays straight, but the truck goes to the right anyway. I am thinking there is something loose on the suspension that is twisting when I hit the brakes and causing the truck to go right, but I have checked the truck from stem to stern and I cannot find anything loose.

Can anybody think of something that I have missed?

2. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

Re: Truck Pulling to the Right During Braking

The rubber brake lines from the frame to the caliper?

3. 1-ton

What could the brake lines be doing to make it pull right? Not giving equal left to right braking?

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Ever since I installed my locker, sometimes it will , and does, pull a little when stopping on uneven ground . Mostly on asphalt at stoplights , and never enough to worry or surprise me. It also only does it with lighter pressure, if I jam the brakes or lock em up it doesn't pull /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

5. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

The brake lines are the only thing that you never mentioned. I had a problem once with a brake that would not release, the hose was internally damaged and not letting the fluid flow back. Maybe something similar is happening in your's that won't allow the same fluid flow on both sides? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif I'm just guessing... because brake lines are the only thing that you never mentioned, maybe?

I have stainless lines on my blazer and had some wire fence wrap around the axle, it smashed the line, I took the wire fence off, and now it pulls real bad when braking...

6. 1-ton

My truck does have the factory original Detroit Locker in it. I am suspecting my differentials thrust angle is not correct. When it was aligned, they did not check the differentials thrust angle, and I am wondering if maybe a cheap set of cast iron lift blocks I have on the rear has my thrust angle incorrect. I have seen a lot of lifted trucks going down the road "dog legging" (i.e. I can see the side of the truck when I am directly behind it). I cannot find any sign of looseness on my rear suspension. Usually if there is any shifting movement on the rear suspension, you can see signs of it on the rear spring pack, but my truck seems to be tight.

7. 1-ton

You are correct; the only thing I have not replaced is the front brake lines, and the proportioning valve, but the proportioning valve only effects front to rear braking, and not the left to right braking. The front brake lines will affect left to right braking. I am pretty sure the front brake lines are the factory originals.

You would figure though that if the front brakes where causing the problem, then the steering wheel would turn when I hit the brakes, but it stays straight ahead, and the truck goes right.

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I sell a dozen pairs of brake hoses a week for this exact problem.

REPLACE THEM!!!!!!!!!

9. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I had a bad wheel seal on my 14FF and it was causing pulling.

10. 1-ton

I will replace the front brake lines on it, and give you guys an update on it.

Thanks for the replies /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

I have this same problem in my blazer, but only when towing our pop-up camper.

I found this post interesting. Specifically Stephen recommends a dropped pitman arm /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

12. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

If the toe of your right tire is out, it will pull to the right. Also if it pulls to the right, the something could be wrong with the left side brakes.

13. 1-ton

When I installed the new steering linkage on my truck, I installed a 4" drop drag link on it.

[​IMG]

14. blasterD

blasterD 1/2 ton status

After I put a 4" lift on my 86 K30 it pulled pretty hard to the right. It's like bumpsteer only it is caused by brake dive. I think fixing your steering would help if the original owner didn't. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

15. K5Chris

K5Chris 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I have this same problem in my blazer, but only when towing our pop-up camper.

I found this post interesting. Specifically Stephen recommends a dropped pitman arm /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

hey, that's me.... yeah, mine seemed to be doing pretty much the same thing, except, the pulling to the right is directly porportional to the suspension compression. i would imagine the suspension compression and decompression could be forcing the pitman to rotate. i still haven't pinpointed the problem. i think i'm going to be adding zero rates up front and i'll put on my raised steering arm to see if that helps.

i also have stainless braded brake lines.

16. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    i also have stainless braded brake lines.

[/ QUOTE ]

Stainless braided brakes hoses are still rubber on the inside and can still collapse just the same.

17. 1-ton

IT WORKED!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

After special ordering front brake hoses for my truck from AutoZone, and waiting a week for them to come in, I put them on, and took the truck out for a test run. My truck does not pull to the right anymore. I also put a new brake hose on the rear brakes as well, since I was at it. Thanks for the replies and input.

18. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Should have just gone to the member previews section and got the part number for the extended lines that are $15 each.

Either way, glad to hear you're fixed up. Like I said, I sell a half dozen pairs of hoses a week for this very reason. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif