Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Truck Pulls (Brake Problem)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by PGL4VT, Jan 21, 2003.

1. PGL4VT

PGL4VT Registered Member

My '91 Blazer pulls to the right when braking. I have to counter it with the steering wheel to keep her straight when stopping. It's really bad under hard braking. I had the rotors turned and I replaced the calipers and pads myself and it seemed fine (I thought) but the problem is back and doing it again. Why? Thanks.

2. txbluethunder

txbluethunder 1/2 ton status

try looking into the rear brakes. sometimes its the rear brakes pulling the front end around.

3. PGL4VT

PGL4VT Registered Member

I'm pretty sure that the problem is in the front. I just don't see how the rear could make me have to turn the steering wheel 2 to 3 inches to the left to make it stop straight.

4. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

If the calipers and pads are all good, check the brakelines, bleed the brakes really well. Check the alignment...if its got 0 toe or some toe out, when you hit the brakes it will increase, even at 0...give it a little more toe and see what happens

5. azheep

azheep Registered Member

check to see if your calipers slide easy on the pins. If the caliper pins are gummed up or the rubber bushings bad. the caliper might stick. when the caliper sticks it will not apply the same pressure as the other side cuasing it to pull. buy caliper lube from local parts store. lube the pins. don't lube them to much though. that sould fix the problem./forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I'll second the rear brakes being the culprit. Bu thats my .02

John /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

7. AZ_Overdrive

AZ_Overdrive 1/2 ton status

Check for play in your front wheel bearings...

/forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

8. thebigdaddyof2

thebigdaddyof2 1/2 ton status

If your truck pulls to the right, you may need to replace the left front brake hose.....yes, left.
    Rubber hoses tend to swell with age. When they swell, they absorb the hyd press instead of passing it along to the caliper. This allows the opposite side to have a greater braking potential- forcing the truck to pull that direction. You may not be able to see any defects in the hoses without pressure applied.

BTW, replace both front brake hoses at the same time. They're not expensive and reletively easy to do. Good luck to ya.

9. PGL4VT

PGL4VT Registered Member

Brake lines!? Now that's an idea! Thanks. Sounds like the one thing I never thought of.

10. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I had a problem with pulling brakes (i thought). Went thru my whole brake system and it still pulled when I got on the brekes
    While I was under the truck fixing the brakes I noticed one of my rear shocks was leaking, it was totally shot. I replaced all my shocks and that cured my pulling problem.

11. RAY

RAY 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Also check your U-bolts to make sure they are tight. Mine were loose and I had similiar symptoms. Hope this helps.
    Ray

12. wheelin_willy

wheelin_willy Registered Member

is your steering wheel straight when your going down a stright road. if it isnt it could be your drag link that connects the pitman arm to the steering arm /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif
    dont forget about a leakin or bad proportioning valve locatedon the inside of the front crossmember in front of your engine