Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Truck purchase question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Robert D, Dec 20, 2005.

1. Robert D

Robert D 1/2 ton status

So, there are two options on K5's for me to purchase for my father.

Option 1 is a 1985 Chevy K5 where the owner's cousin had a shop convert it to FI and in between the shop and his house the motor burnt up. Something fishy went down where the shop wouldn't claim liability. The current owner bought the truck after it sat 3yrs, he is a mechanic, and rebuilt the motor with a stepped up camshaft, edelbrock intake, holly carb, headers, and dual exhaust with flowmasters. This is pretty much everything my dad would want to eventually do to a truck, but it does not have working A/C which is something he would like. Asking 2500, firm.

Option 2 is a 1989 Chevy K5 which has been owned by the same family since new. It was stolen in 1998 and stripped. Upon recovery, insurance paid for a new motor, differentials, transmission, and a bunch of other interior and engine parts. The paint looks much better on this one and the interior looks great. There's 50k miles on the components. Asking 4000 obo. I am going to go look at it today and make an offer...but I'd like to ask what you guys think?

The way I figure is that paying 2500 for option 1 without A/C and then having a shop put A/C into it may end up being more than 1500 bucks (option 2 = 4000). This truck is going to be my father's but he will let my younger brother use it during college. My younger brother does not work on trucks. So the more reliable the better.

2. wubba_65

wubba_65 Registered Member

Go for option 2. It is slightly newer, has a/c, you know the history, and in 1998 the whole damn drivetrain is practically brand new. It's a no brainer IMO.

3. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

Go with option 2. Unless you are gonna do some wrenching to add A/C and do whatever other stuff needs to be done.

4. Robert D

Robert D 1/2 ton status

Thanks, I was thinking the same thing. The only temptation to option 1 is the truck has a motor with less than 10k miles and has all of the parts my father would like to eventually put on the truck. I guess with option 2 he will get to enjoy installing everything (he is a wrencher at heart, used to have a 63 vette in highschool and college prior to med-school).

I haven't seen the truck yet, I will go look at it later this afternoon. Would the 89 most likely have TBI installed like my 91?

5. wubba_65

wubba_65 Registered Member

yes to tbi on the 89

6. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

#2 is the best deal.

7. Robert D

Robert D 1/2 ton status

So, I went to look at the 2nd truck. It runs great. I read in the receipt from when the motor was replaced that the engine and transmission are new from 1999, as well as other engine components. We're probably going to end up purchasing the truck. It makes my truck feel like hell! The steering was so tight and the throttle response much quicker. I want a rebuild now!