Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Truck running rough.Need help

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bckinblk, Jun 14, 2003.

1. bckinblk

bckinblk 1/2 ton status

Today after putting the k-5 back together I started my truck (1988 k-5 5.7 tbi) It idled really rough So I took it for a cruise and it smoothed out .I shut it down for 5 minutes and I restarted it and It idled rough again .The truck sat for about 2 weeks and always ran good before .The only thing I could think of is I added some prolong to it before it sat .Could that've somehow messed it up ?? This is a break down of all the parts I changed on the engine last year Plugs -wires-cap-rotor-idle air control-coolant sensor-map-o2 It is not throwing any codes ..................Any suggestions?? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

sounds like a pcm relearn, start it up and let it idle in park with all accessories off for about 5 minutes
    shut it off for 5 minutes, start it back up, see how it is

3. bckinblk

bckinblk 1/2 ton status

Ok I just tried it .It did improve a little but it still seems to have a stumble to it and the whole truck shakes .I will try to pull the plugs out to see if one is fouled .I am totally confused It just figures that I got it all back together and now I got a new problem WHY WHY..thanks for the advise.... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Confedneck

try letting it idle, and pull one plug wire at a time, see if it changes the idle any, if you end up with one that doesnt change things, figure it out from there

5. MousePowrd

MousePowrd 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Today after putting the k-5 back together

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you mean "put it together"? What did you take off?

6. bckinblk

bckinblk 1/2 ton status

I put in a steering brace .Drag link and tranny mount .I doubt that has anything to do with it..It just started running rough at startup It runs smoother when warm but seems to sputter throughout the rpms ???I checked egr vac --good .checked wires-plugs-cap-.good.It is running very rich .Exhaust smells bad..??.Anyone... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

7. Confedneck

smells bad? like what? rotten eggs? maybe the cat has gone south causing o2 sensor problems?

8. bckinblk

bckinblk 1/2 ton status

It smells like the gas is'nt burning all the way (very rich smell)I also noticed that I have an exhaust leak on the o2 side manifold. Could this cause what I am describing?? Is there a way to test the 02 sensor?? I am going crazy racking my brain trying to find this problem .Anyone out there have or had what I am describing ?? Please help..I will try a new fuel filter tonight ..although the pump and filter are fairly new...(confedneck) thanks for trying to help brother. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

9. Confedneck

you saying you have an exhaust leak around the o2 sensor near the manifold? if so that would cause some wacky ass computer readings and probably a screwy idle...

10. MousePowrd

A leak in the manifold before the O2 sensor will either lose heat and cause false readings, or introduce air causing the O2 to read lean. Fix the leak and replace the sensor (should be pretty cheap) and see if it helps. Just replacing the sensor is a waste of time without fixing the leak also

11. bckinblk

bckinblk 1/2 ton status

I found that it is leaking at the collector o ring.One of the 3 studs broke off leaving a small gap.So now I am looking for a used exhaust manifold .The leak is after the o2 would that still send funked up readings??thanks again

12. MousePowrd

No, after the sensor is a different story. Did the problems all of a sudden start after you messed with the steering, or was it gradual?
    Even though you werent messing with the engine you could have knocked something off, like a wire or the vacuum line to the charcoal canister, or something.

13. bckinblk

bckinblk 1/2 ton status

I had the truck on stands put in a new t-case mount and brace and draglink .When I started it up I noticed a shimmer in the idle .And it's just getting worse .I added some prolong in it before I parked it .Today I put a new fuel filter and still the same .I will pull the IAC next for a cleaning. Any more suggestions??

14. dheavychevy38

dheavychevy38 1/2 ton status Premium Member

check your vaccum lines my 88 started burning gas and running rough found out it was the line to the map sensor it was dry rotten give them a try

15. bckinblk

bckinblk 1/2 ton status

I pulled out the IAC and sprayed it down with cleaner .When I put it back in the truck ran much better but still has a sputter .Could the IAC be bad??

16. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

If one of the studs broke off just put a new one in(you can get them from any good parts store, make sure you get the ones with the springs), you don't need to get a whole new manifold... /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

17. Confedneck

IAC could be bad, its a possibility... why not replace it if it hasnt ever been replaced...

18. bckinblk

bckinblk 1/2 ton status

I bought the IAC last year..Trying to find my reciept.. Anyway is there a way to test it..When I pulled it it was gunked up pretty bad ..Since I cleaned it the truck runs better but still not right. Thanks all for the help /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif