Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Truck runs like a pos all the sudden...*FIXED*

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by hi pinion, Nov 19, 2004.

1. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Ok, up until 2 days ago,,,, i was thinking wow my truck runs great!!!2 days ago, i would try to start it, it would run good/better at high idle, and just die /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif Now, i try to start it and it just dies, unless i feather the gas , and even when i do have the gas held down pretty good, it still crappy. Ive already checked the gas pump, and the feul filter. There is gas spewing from the line and the filter looks new still.I even took it out and ran withought a filter.....still the same. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gifI checked all around the engine ,i cant see anything off the ordinary. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif I dont know wtf is going on with the thing. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif Do carberators just "go bad" after a while?? Just one day crap out????? It was like one day it was running, and the next day it was crapping out /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif HELP!!! /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gifJacob

2. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Re: Truck runs like a pos all the sudden

Oh yeah its an 85 blazer /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. cheyennesuper

cheyennesuper Registered Member

Check to see if your points are still good...
    and maybe timing?

4. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

How do i check that? /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Pop the d cap and the what? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. cheyennesuper

cheyennesuper Registered Member

Yeah...the point are under the rotar.just look at the head on the point and see if its fried.It could be the condenser too.You should actually see if your getting good spark before you do all that

6. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

Pop the cap and look under it for damage, burned contacts, etc. Cheap so buy and change either way. If its not the fuel pump, i'd suspect the choke on carb or the distributor coil.

jakeslim

7. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Yeah...the point are under the rotar.just look at the head on the point and see if its fried.It could be the condenser too.You should actually see if your getting good spark before you do all that

[/ QUOTE ] Is this what you are saying...= check the heads on the POINTS under the d cap check to see if they are fried" ??? Also.....the condenser???? Where is that?? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Pop the cap and look under it for damage, burned contacts, etc. Cheap so buy and change either way. If its not the fuel pump, i'd suspect the choke on carb or the distributor coil.

jakeslim

[/ QUOTE ] Do carbs just crap out all the sudden like that??? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

I'd change the dist. coil first, if it doesn't fix it, take it back and get a refund, but change the cap too.
    I don't know about the carb though. Have ya changed the plugs lately?

jakeslim

10. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Well the carb could have something in it stuck . I swear to god somehow my original carb was sucking the old broken up bits of Charcoal from the cannister into the bowl vent , and it ran like you just described . I replaced my can with an older one and redid my hoses . I chit you not , pulled top off original carb and there were little specs of the black stuff in it /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

11. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

So it ran great after that??? And you DIDDNT rebuild the carb?? BTW, when we put the carb in for the first time, it backfired a few times. Mabey that blew something up. But it ran fine(just fine to not great) for 3 yrs. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif So i got the d-cap. and another peice that goes on the distributer, that has electrical plug ins on it, ill try that tommorow, and see what happens.Anyone who thinks they might have any ideas, please post it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gifJacob /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. pauly383

I just took the carb off at the parking lot at the lake and removed top , tipped over and blew out with cleaner . Did that a couple times before I found out it was from cannister and not tank or filter . I still have that carb , but its going on the project . I also forgot to mention I cut a piece of window screen and shoved in the hose before I put the hose on , just incase so crap would never get in the carb again /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

13. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Ok so did it run good after that?? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. pauly383

Aside from the leaky throttle shafts , yes . It was one of those never would of thought it thangs /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. fatboy

fatboy 1/2 ton status

1) you shouldnt have point in a 85 blazer.
    2) what have you done lattly to it?
    3) see if the distributor is loose.
    4) floats inside the carb get fuel soaked and dont float but that is not something that just happens its kind of a slow gradual go bad thing.
    5) what carb is it? if it is a q jet are you refering to the filter at the inlet of the carb? that will give you strange performance.

give more info /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

16. original balzer

original balzer 1/2 ton status

check to make sure your choke hasnt stuck as well mine is wired open and tuned to a nats buttocks and is only a tiny bit hard to start in the cold

willow /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

17. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

#1 got a new d cap and another peice. (electrical plug in deal,has some grease pack that came with it, and mounts to the bottom of the distibuter,2 screws)..#2i havent done anything lately to it. #3distributer is tight already checked. #4i dont know#5i already ran it with and withought the flter, i get the same thing. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I dont know what the hells the matter with the thing. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

You might have some water in the fuel--I made the mistake of filling one of my trucks with my gas can for the lawnmower that had a quart of condensed water in it from sitting outside when my truck ran out of gas in my yard the other day--now mine runs like a POS all of a sudden too--and it was self inflicted! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif.I put 3 bottles of isopropanol dry-gas in it,and five more gallons of gas--now its running ok again.Does this truck sit a lot without being driven often??--if so,water in the gas is a good possibility,and gas goes stale pretty fast nowadays too.We have been plauged by bad gas around here lately--we cant tell if we are buying it at the pumps or what--but most of the vehicles I have pulled the gas tank out of to either fix the fuel pump or junk the car,has a lot of water in the bottom of the tank.Seems the higher the price,the poorer the fuel quality lately. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

19. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Thank you....I could not believe how long the discussion about points in an '85 Blazer went on.... /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

20. whiskey bent

whiskey bent Registered Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Well the carb could have something in it stuck . I swear to god somehow my original carb was sucking the old broken up bits of Charcoal from the cannister into the bowl vent , and it ran like you just described . I replaced my can with an older one and redid my hoses . I chit you not , pulled top off original carb and there were little specs of the black stuff in it /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Same thing happend to a friends 85' K10 once, this makes the first person I've heard of it happening to besides him.