Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

truck security.. ignition kill switch, fuel cutoff..

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by emoo99, Feb 6, 2003.

1. emoo99

emoo99 1/2 ton status

lets have people post some clever security features they've done to their trucks... like ignition cutoff, fuel cutoff.. what have you guys done to your truck to stop the thieves out there and how'd you do it...

2. 4x4dreamer

4x4dreamer 1/2 ton status

160 lb Great Dane...works wonders.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I have one of the security collars. You can still start it if you are determined, but its hard to go anywhere when the steering wheel can't be turned /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Only around $60, no cutting, no hacking, no mods.

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

haven';t done it yet but I am gonna put an ignition cut off on mine. I don't know if everyones truck is like this but mine has two wires powering the coil and if just one of those is disconnected there is no spark. Probably gonna put a switch on one of them for security.

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

fuel cut off, ignition cut off, removable steering wheel, removable t-case handle (leave it in neutral, pop handle off), brakepedal lock, decent alarm, a big dog, run a huge chain through a rim and around the frame, lowjack, and keep it in a locked/brightly-lit/alarmed/camera-observed garage.

j

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

this montsh issue of fourwheeler magazine had a good one too. WEld a chain link to your shifter(if manual) and one to like your firewall then put a chaing between there and lock it together. Put it in first gear so the chain prevents you from leaving first so even if they start it and all they aren't going anywhere fast.

7. cryptobiotic

cryptobiotic Registered Member

Man I have had my truck broken into like 3 times and i have had it stolen right off my work parking lot, people see old nice chevys and that is a prime target, all I did was dump about 300 on an alarm and keyless entry, no one has touched it since /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

8. SickboySS

SickboySS 1/2 ton status

you don't need no confusing alarms or nothin, just some wire splices, wire, and a switch....splice into something like the coil or the starter solonoid and mount the switch somewhere like under the dash or sutin...no start - no steal...its either that or have fun carrying a driveshaft around everywhere with ya /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

9. emoo99

emoo99 1/2 ton status

right on.. what i'm goin to do is splice into my ignition coil or a starter wire like that and make the switch my cigarette lighter, pushed in you can start it and left out you can't, i could even take the cigarette ligher with me so there's no way they could start it, even if they found out that was my switch..

10. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Make yourself a nice removable steering wheel setup like in race cars. Pull the wheel lock it up and walk away. Might even double as a nice safety feature if you should ever happen to get pinned under the wheel. Hope that never happens. Put on one of those nice looking Grant steering wheels and Have somebody make you up a nice carrying case for it. Careful how this case looks when you are all done. vertical and it might look like you are carrying a purse. horizontal and somebody might mug you for your pizza. On my tow rig I have the fuel pump(electric) hooked up to a hidden switch. You can start it but can only go about a block and a half. Then she's out of gas. If you shut the pump off before you shut the ignition off (ideally about block and a half from where you are going)it works awesome can't even start it.

11. 84CUCV

84CUCV 3/4 ton status Premium Member

My CUCV has a chain welded to the seat with a pad lock to put round the sitting wheel. Mike

12. pismorat

pismorat 1/2 ton status

I have a kill switch going to the starter, and one to the distributor. If they find one, they still have to find the other. I also want to do a removable steering wheel, while still using the stock wheel and column, any ideas? /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

13. Nitrodrip350

Nitrodrip350 1/2 ton status

This is how my Security system works:
    (please take notes if needed) /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

1. I slowly let my truck rust up
    2. Then park in the same locaton to allow the oil to accumulate (sp?)
    3. Next some think that they can open the doors cuz they're broke .... "broke" HA! That is just level 3 of my security system!!!!
    4. And lastly hell sometimes it won't even start for me, how the hell is a thief going to start her?? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Class Dismissed! /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Shane - /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

14. prerunner1982

prerunner1982 1/2 ton status

i have an ignition switch hidden, it cuts the power to the dist. but allows the truck to turn over. will also put in a battery switch, hidden as well. and eventually a fuel switch. all hidden. or mismarked. (ex. wire your bright floor mounted switch in as your dist cut-off switch.)

15. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

16. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

how about a 7 foot long bar with a cap welded on one end and a drilled hole on the other end to allow for a lock holding the second cap on. Slide that through your rims and lock one side, very oviouse (sp?) to a theaf, since they are usually shopping for the tire/wheels on your truck.

could even use an old tie rod after extending it! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I also thought it would be cool to run a colored flip switch and recess it in my tail light on the red part, when ya walk past your truck just run your hand along the side to hit it, and no one will be the wiser /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

17. schmuck

schmuck 1/2 ton status

i have a dial in rev limiter if you turn it all the way down the truck will start but not go any where plus i put the transfer case in n

18. prjt_blzr

prjt_blzr 1/2 ton status

A really inexpensive alternative to an alarm is to wire a relay in line on the ignition. Wire a switched ignition power lead to the coil of the relay through a small (1A) fuse. Ground the other end of the coil. Wire a switch to the fused side of the coil that grounds the power wire if the power is applied in the truck with the switch in the "armed" position. If some one tries to start the truck the fuse will blow and they will not get the truck to start even if they find the switch.

19. Geno

Geno Registered Member

Thought of a cool idea, how abuot putting extra dimmer switch under your carpet so all you have to do is hit the switch and kill the ignition?

20. BlazinRojo

BlazinRojo 1/2 ton status

You could always pull the rotor out of the distributor. Guarantee a thief would figure that one out! I wouldn't be so concerned about my truck getting stolen, but I can be inside with no key in about 20 seconds with a short piece of wire (and any other truck that vintage with an electric rear window) let alone if I had a slim jim. Old Blazer are soooo easy to bust into, I'm surprised mine has never been jacked. I'd go dual ignition switches and a if your truck is anything like mine, put the t-case in nuetral, and any thief die trying before he manages to get it back in gear!