Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

truck sitting. . . cheap horsepower?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BowtieRed, Aug 17, 2003.

1. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

what are some fairly inexpensive easy power mods?

i was thinking about ghetto rigging up some cold air in addition to the cowl hood. last night i was riding in a car and started screwing aroung with 36" of exhaust pipe and a 90* elbow. . . it threw tons of air in my face when i stuck it out the window. i was thinking about running two of those under the truck to up near the air filter to see if i got any gains. and then capping it when i went mudding.

oh- if i got some turbos of of some Saab 9000s would it be POSSIBLE to put them on my 350? my auto tech teacher said it would work and we could do it in class if i got them. what kind of power could i expect?

2. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Cheap power? Lots of stickers are worth a bunch /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Cold air induction is always a good idea. Mounting it into the front creates a bit of a ramming effect, making positive pressure for the vacuum to draw from.

You can put a turbo onto anything. Make sure he doesn't put to much pressure to it, if your compression ratio is to high. If he wants to do it, go for it, as the plumbing can be difficult. since this is the beginning of the school year, you have a lot of time to work out the bugs.

P.S. I hope your cooling system is top notch....

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

twin turbos? you pretty well ahve to build a motor around that not put the turbos on an already built motor.

4. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

I was hoping his shop teacher knew what he was doing.

I gave him a pretty simplified answer, but I did mention the whole compression ratio thing. Maybe that would have caused him to bring it up in the next discussion.

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

true, I was pointing that towards him not you by the way I figured you understood that.

6. bowtiepower00

bowtiepower00 1/2 ton status

Running turbos on a Carb motor is going to be a PITA. If you went to EFI you are going to be doing a lot of tuning. For the price of the turbo project you could build a strong motor from the ground up and be done with it.

7. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

you drive a truck? why do you want to turbocharge the motor and make power up top? you should consider just building a stronger torque motor and be done with it..

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

why do people throw lopey cams in motors? cause they want to make more mid and top power and sound cool. Turbo would be the samething but they would make bottom end power too. Two stock little SAAB turbos will spool pretty quickly and not make huge peak horsepower numbers on a 350 I would think.

9. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

tWIN TURBOS WOULD BE COOL. Damn caps lock. You can turbo a carb'd motor with no problem. A friend of mine turbo'd his 79 Trans Am. PRetty badass, too. I am building a turbo 75 Firebird when I get the funds. Here's the link to his webpage. http://turbocharging2ndgens.transamcountry.com/ the manual he sells might come in handy, too. It shows you how to turbo a 2nd gen TA, but the principles apply to almost any car. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Turbo carbed setup is a big, inefficient hassle IMO. Look at what factory turbo carbed cars did, then what they did when they went injection/intercooled. (Think '85-up Grand National vs. the early carbed turbo Regals)

Not saying it can't be done, but injected/intercooled cars make a LOT more power than the carbed ones, and have a lot less to worry about.

11. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

It is true that EFI would be a better set up for a turbo because the computer can adapt the mixture as the boost increases/decreases. A carb usually has one setting and can't pull the maximum power from a turbo.

12. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

i disagree. i run mud bogs, where i need top end. i do muddin where i need top end. i haven't found 350ft. lbs. and 3.73s (rear, temporary) to be too little yet even with 39s. now with my 4.88s back and an SM465 i REALLY doubt i'll have a problem espesially with the NP241.

13. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

I seem to recall seeing something in one of the Chevy performance rags about a new blower setup that ran a Demon carb inside an "airbox" (can't remember their term) that the blower fed into. Said this method really simplified the carb tuning because it wasn't seeing huge vacuum/boost pressure fluctuations. I'm definitely not a carb guy, so I'm not sure if this concept would work with turbos or if it's just a blower thing, much less why a carb inside a pressurized box reacts differently to a carb being force-fed air down its gullet. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Anyhoo, it's food for thought/fuel for the fire. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

14. Nitrodrip350

Nitrodrip350 1/2 ton status

Yeah my friend actually bought a set-up like this from a Drag Boat. It has an air box that is sealed and twin turbos that feed into it. He bought it to put on his El Camino Big Block set-up but didn't realize that it is cooled buy the water that the boat sits in. Really can't find a way to put the intercooler to work?! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif Also there always seems to be someone that sells a Carb'ed Turbo kit on Ebay, just look there every once and a while you're bound to find one... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Later, Shane