Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

truck stalls out when coming to stop

Discussion in '1983-2005 S-Series models' started by bryguy00b, Nov 21, 2003.

1. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

when ever i slow down or try and come to a stop the thing wants to die out..vacume leak? ideas?? 87 2wd 2.5/4spd ...it also idels kinda funny and when i rev it and let it back down kinda fast it will putter out..or almsot and then come back..and what is the fuel suppost to look like coming out of the injector? is it suppost to be misty..or what? on mine it looks kinda misty type spraying..any ideas?

2. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

The injectors should spray an even mist in a cone pattern. Do you get any trouble codes? You should be able to check them by inserting a paper clip between a couple terminals on the under dash connector but I forget which two off the top of my head.

3. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    You should be able to check them by inserting a paper clip between a couple terminals on the under dash connector but I forget which two off the top of my head.

[/ QUOTE ] it is the last 2 on the top row

4. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

i suspect its the idel air control valve..so im ganna go ahead and try that..but ill try the codes to and see what she says..

5. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

replaced IAC..runs better..but didnt improve it enough to make me think thats the problem..still stalls when coming to a stop sometimes...so i ran the codes..the only one i get was 24..which is vehicle speed sensor, and the only thing it tells me to do for this is check the throttle position sensor settings. would any of these have anything to do with my problem??? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

6. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

ttt /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

7. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

put a tps on it, throttle postion sensor, our 99 had the same problem, stalling when coming to a stop, because the throttle position sensor was out of range...

8. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

i guess..i just orderd a vss for it so well try that...guess the tps would be the next thing to look at..

9. Confedneck

tps is what the problem is...almost 100% guaranteed...check voltage with key on engine off at the tps, at idle, or closed you should have .4-.6 volts, and at wide open throttle it should be 4.5-4.8 or so..

10. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

and if its NOT at the right volts thats the problem!?

11. Confedneck

correct, if you're way off, its time for a tps.. let me know what your voltages are when you find out and ill let you know for sure..

12. Confedneck

well? any update???

13. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

havnt even gotten around to checking it yet /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif been fixin chit on my k-10 and my dads gatat bring home a voltmeter..

14. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

how exactly do i check it ive never used one of these things befor?

15. Confedneck

set it to the direct voltage setting (the V with straight lines over it, one solid, one dashed)..now turn the truck on, key on engine off (koeo), probe the back side of the tps connector and check the black (ground) and the other wires...one should read about .4-.6..i forget which wire, but total there should be 3, including the ground..

16. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

ok thanx ill check that today..

17. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

well when i went to go check it..i pulled it of..and discoverd there were no screws holding it in! the two mounting screws just werent there at all lol..and im assuming its on the front of the throttle body with the small 3 wire connector that goes to it correct!?...im ganna find a couple screws to fit that and put it in right and try it again, and see what happens, the battery wasnt in it and im not sure wear my dad put it so i couldnt check the volts..

18. Confedneck

yeah, that tps should be slightly adjustable as well so the fact that it wasnt secured is a problem..i say install some bolts and get a battery in it, i bet its fine..

19. civicstomper

civicstomper 1/2 ton status

That sounds similar to the problems I was having with my truck. I got codes 33, 34, and 45, and I fixed all of those problems. Still, it stalls out every once in a while when I try and give it gas. If you have any luck could you let me know what you did to fix it? I'm running out of ideas. Sorry to change the subject, just sounded a lot like my truck.
    -pete /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

20. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

well took the thing to school, ran a test on it (snanner), tps and all that checks out ok, only code i get is for "no vehicle speed sensor signal"..could this cause whats happeneing??