Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

truck starts idles real high then dies HELP

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by chvyblzr1977, Dec 5, 2002.

1. chvyblzr1977

chvyblzr1977 Registered Member

OK heres the deal my 77 blazer ran fine a week ago i noticed i had a gas leak from the metal line near the header so i replaced it with a rubber hose.I didnt put no gas in or start for about a week or so and we had some really cold weather.Anyways i put gas in the tank today pumped and pumped and pumped and couldnt get any gas in there finally i decided to put gas in the carberator it started idled really really high then came all the way down and died i tried starting it like this a couple of times and it did the same thing over and over also i noticed when i looked down in the carberator there was no gas spitting into the bowls.Now what i was wondering are my lines frozen or something whats going on here i gave up for the day.Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you

2. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

I think it needs to be ~ -20 Fahrenheit for Gas to freeze (unless of course there is water in it).

Sounds like a plugged filter or line.

Good luck.

3. Did you put the fuel filter on in the correct direction?

4. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I had the same problem, turned out a leak in the tubing, so it was sucking air.
    Follow the lines all the way from engine to tank.
    If not that then it's a clogged pickup or filter.

5. chvyblzr1977

chvyblzr1977 Registered Member

yeah i put the fuel filter in the correct direction ill have to check the lines tommmorow and see if there clogged i guess.
    Thanks for all your help guys