Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Truck stinks (NEW Exhaust)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by adamforsythe, May 1, 2005.

1. adamforsythe

adamforsythe 1/2 ton status

Hello,
    After I replaced my whole exhaust (Y-pipe, dynomax cat, flowmaster 40) (replaced the 2 1/4" system with a 2 1/2" system) the truck stinks really bad it seems to start to stink when I get on it. At first I thought it was just the cat but it has been about 2 months since I replaced the cat. After I run the truck hard is when the stink comes. When I pull into the gas station the trcuk stinks the whole parking lot up.
    What is going on?
    Thanks
    Adam

2. Fierospeeder

Fierospeeder Banned

could be running rich

or your burning coolant or antifreeze

3. tx_sub

tx_sub 1/2 ton status

maybe some coating is burning off your exhaust components. can you describe the smell? check to see if anything is laying on the exhaust and burning.

4. adamforsythe

Hello,
    It kinda smells like bad eggs / sulfur. It is so bad I wish I could put this crap in a bottle and sell it. I would never have to work again. If I put a cat on the wrong way would that cause it to stink? I gained power when I put the exhaust on.
    Thanks
    Adam

5. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

The bad egg smell is usually the cat. I have really only smelled it on car with high mileage and when it gets hot...like going up long hills or towing

6. adamforsythe

Hello,
    Yea but this is a new cat.
    Thanks
    Adam

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

That smell is definitely the cat, I'd bet money on it.

8. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Try another brand...

Some fuels stink more than others--if your motor is in good tune and not running too rich,it could be the gas itself that has a high sulpher content--you gould try switching to a different brand of gas--I used to use any cheap gas I could find,but noticed my truck gets better mileage and even idles smoother using name brand fuel VS no name cheap stuff--also pings a lot less or not at all on the name brand fuel..its worth the extra nickel a gallon...adding alcohol like dry gas will help some too.. :crazy:

9. Fierospeeder

Fierospeeder Banned

Why would the cat smell? It isn't made out of sulfur

Last edited: May 3, 2005
  10. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

When I put a new cat on my truck it stunk like sulfur for a few days....Dont worry about it, itll go away...

11. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Maby this is what you need :)

[​IMG]

Why deal with the nauseous exhaust fumes from your race vehicle, when you could be sniffing root beer, pina colada, or bubble gum instead? Manhattan Oil fuel fragrances eliminate unpleasant exhaust fumes and the eye, nose, and throat irritation that come with them. Just mix them in with your regular fuel--one 4 oz. bottle treats 30 gallons of alcohol or 20 gallons of gas. Plus, they're available in 19 different fragrances.

12. dyeager535

???

Remove the catalytic converter and see if it smells. :surepal:

Whatever word games you want to play, with no converter, the sulfur smell would disappear. Magic! Want to bet it didn't exist before the new converter?

If you had read post 4 instead of jumping straight to mine, just to attempt to refute it, you'd understand that the sulfur smell started since the exhaust system was replaced, which included one of your favorites, an aftermarket converter.

13. daleearnhardt01

Thank you Dorian...

Ive seen it numerous times with aftermarket cats...I dont know why it does it but I just call it "getting burned in". After a few days the smell will wear off, no more sulfur... :grin:

14. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I put a flowmaster cat-back system on my DD a couple years ago and it stunk for a month or two. I think since it was a preassembled kit, they coat it with something before they put it in the box and that's what burned off. Just recently, I had a local guy do a custom dual system with a new cat. It smelled like sulphur for a good week or two. I just wrote it off as the new cat and after a little while it disappeared.

15. Fierospeeder

Fierospeeder Banned

Like this post where you "think" you know cats
    http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130106&page=1&pp=10&highlight=catalytic+converter
    LOL

btw, that link you posted even says the same thing. The cat isn't made out of sulfur. So why would the "cat smell" according to you.
    Diesel is right again.

Semi trucks dont have catalytic converters but yet they have the smell of sulfur. I wonder where its coming from. Oh wait, it has been in the fuel all along and the catalytic converter didn't create sulfur molecules :rolleyes:

16. daleearnhardt01

Lets not agrue here guys, the fact remains that a few of us have experienced a "sulfur" smell with a new convertor and that it will go away. Thats what the post is about.... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

17. dyeager535

So you are equating the sulfur smell and content of diesel (which is higher than gasoline in the first place) to the unusual sulfur smell resulting from more than one persons installation of new exhaust systems/converters? That makes sense.

You can dance around how smart or correct you are without trying to get proven wrong by not actually posting facts in this thread, but thats ok. Lets see if you can answer a simple question that this thread poses: the poster installs a new exhaust system to include catalytic converter, and all of a sudden his vehicle exhaust smells like sulfur. You are going to blame this on the fuel when his location, source of fuel, and type of fuel haven't changed or are unknown? Tell us ALL how you arrived at the conclusion that the fuel is the cause of the smell if the fuel hasn't changed. Heck, I bet if we ask, the poster had the smell with the SAME tank of gas used before and after the exhaust swap! You think? Not only that, more people post the same results from the real world as he has. If the smell isn't coming from the catalytic converter, where is it coming from?

You can choose to ignore everything that contradicts what you think you know, you just won't learn anything. Unfortunately for you and your theory in this case, I'm not the only one that has "experienced" this, yet you choose to ignore them as well. Not only do you dismiss the possibility, you fail to actually prove anything, or offer any other alternatives. Your post here follows the same path as the other post you linked to, lack of technical information, no proof to back up your statements, and fear of being proven wrong. You might want to stop being so proud of posts that prove exactly that. Heck, this thread is just another example of you getting involved solely to take away from the original post.

As with any other post you felt the need to steer away from the original issue to deal with your personal vendetta, I'm done with this one unless someone else posts. There's nothing to learn from someone that doesn't post anything informative.

As to diesels not having converters, might want to talk to the europeans about how they haven't been using them for years.

18. daleearnhardt01

Excellent Dorian...

And yes my truck had the same tank of gas pre and post convertor install....

19. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Exhaust gasses go thu a cat.
    The carbons are burned leaving a lot of water vapor, hydrogn, and 02 left
    The Gases go thur the new Zinc galvanized/ aluminized coated pipe which contains quite a bit of sulpher.
    Presto Chango! hydrogen, oxygen, sulpher, mixed= H2S04= sulpheric acid= sulpher smell. Thats also what rots out muflers. Once the sulfer is burned out of the coating the smell goes away.
    Pretty simple if you think about it. Not rocket science or sulpher in gas (what little sulpher there is in gas burned in the combustion chamber). Just chemistry 101:doah:

20. Fierospeeder

Fierospeeder Banned

See what happens when someone never went to college. They have an ego trip.

Lets take the last quote.
    "europeans about how they haven't been using them for years"
    i dont care if europe does or what you said "havent" used converters.
    Look at my quote "semi's" i dont live in europe. DUH So how would i know what a european semi truck smells like. :rolleyes: reading comprehension?

So you want me to back up everything i said. Let me just scan my BS diploma for you. :rolleyes:

heres a nice quote
    wow it says fuel mixture can cause a sulfer smell. There goes your theory that a catalytic converter can be the "ONLY" cause of rotten egg smell. Eventhough, gas still has sulfur in it. Which your link proved. So did Diesel. But i thought your theory is "many things can be wrong"

And because your idea of diagnostics is to replace parts first, instead of identifying the problem. According to you, it is smarter to replace an expensive catalytic converter then to diagnose why a "cat" failed in the first place. Is that where you get your experience from and others that believe replacing parts is better then fixing the real problem?
    "many people put new aftermarket cats on and have an odor problem" that is your experience LOL

Just like the link i provided last time, and the quote above. Still believe cheap aftermarket cats work? If you had any experience or equipment (which is more then a test light) you would be able to see how great your aftermarket cat is working. I doubt you can afford a 5 gas exhaust analyzer to "Prove" your experiences of how well an aftermarket cat works.

So what is your experience in why a CAT causes rotten egg smell? Put a new cat on a truck. It smells bad, just because it is new. Then it goes away after a while. So what is the educated answer? new converter = bad exhaust bad converter = good exhaust ?
    You must have a lot of experience in destroying aftermarket converters. LOL

So why does it smell like eggs when it is new??? I need an educated answer besides "it is normal" because it happens a lot to backyard mechanics.

uh yes. If there was no sulfur in gasoline or diesel, then there would be no smell. How can you have the sulfur smell if chemical reactions have no sulfur molecules to interact?
    And why would the government try to regulate the sulfur content and reduce the PPM of sulfur in automotive/truck fuel?

lets see you walk around that LOL talk about europeans again. Europeans dont have a high sulfur content maybe that is why their fuel don't emitt a noticable odor.

Me not backing up my info LOL go read the last link about cats. You got all huffy puffy about being wrong. Then "trying" to make yourself look good. You tried to make an excuse that my link isn't updated. ROFL

well, im off to talk to the europeans about their diesels that "haven't" been using catalytic converters for years. ROFL