Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

truck tailgate instead of the roll up window gate?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by moturbopar, Mar 5, 2006.

1. moturbopar

moturbopar 1/2 ton status

Hi all I am removing the top from my 84 jimmy and dont want the old roll up window tailgate on the jimmy anymore. Is it possible to replace it with regular old truck tailgate?

2. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

yes it is possible check out my car domain link i have a truck gate on mine

3. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Yep. You'll want to get the folding metal brackets and the ... umm, stubs? spindles? whatever you call the hinge points from the donor truck, but a Blazer should be set up to accept all of the hardware without drilling. Essentially, you want the tailgate and ALL the hardware, not just the tailgate.

There is an obscure option on the Blazer/Jimmy for the tailgate "for soft tops only" -- look in the LMC catalog -- which is basically a pickup tailgate, i.e. with no roll-up glass.

HTH.

-- A

4. moturbopar

Cool! Did you have any problems getting it mounted or did it basically just bolt up?
    Thanks!
    Shawn.

Oops, I didnt see your post, That gives me all the info.
    Thanks.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2006
  5. chrisb420

chrisb420 1/2 ton status

if you look on your k5 you will see holes at the bottom of you tailgate posts, thats where the pickup tailgate trunions (lower hinges) bolt to and then you will need pickup style links (the metal folding brackets that stop the tailgate from falling down) so that the pickup tailgate has something to latch into. it all should be a bolt in, your best bet is go to a junkyard and take all the stuff off of a donor truck.

6. moturbopar

Thanks. I have a 73 gmc sitting here. The rear was covered with crap, but I finally was able to move the crap around with a tractor and now can see that is just a bolt in.