Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Truck tailgate on a Blazer

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 77fixer, Feb 14, 2003.

1. 77fixer

77fixer 1/2 ton status

Who all has done this. I thought it was a simple swap, but I just read that they don't fit correctly. On my 74, the passenger seat, rear seat and top were optional. What did they use for a tailgate then?

Brett /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. nofeartruckin00

nofeartruckin00 1/2 ton status

What did you read didn't fit correctly? I have a '91 K5 with a '73 pick-up tailgate. Lots of pics in my webshots link down below. If you need any more pics of something in question, let me know, and I'll try to snap some.

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

he may be refering to a post I made where I said it looked ugly, only one I have ever seen was in a junkyard and it looked horrible. The tailgate was set like a couple inches back from teh back of the body and you could 100% tell it wasn't right. Yours looks and seems to work right so I gues it was a different style tailgate some idiot used on the one I saw.

4. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Your bedsides should have all of the holes drilled and tapped for a truck tailgate. It was an option on the K5 so it fits fine.

You will need a tailgate with latch and hinges mounted, hinge mounts to bolt to the bedsides, and the latch brackets to bolt to the bedsides. You can get all of this stuff from a Donor truck or buy new from LMC.

Shouldn't have to say this but, remember you will no longer have a rear window to roll up. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif If you run a soft top year round or have a nice garage like Fox, you can park without worry.

5. nofeartruckin00

Oh ok. Yeah the pickup tailgate is thinner, but only towards the inside. The outside of mine is flush with the body, and the body lines are lined up. Someone must have really hacked that one you looked at. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

the one I saw was thinner to the outside, not sure what tailgate he used but yeah that was messed up. This looks pretty neat, I would consider it but I think my K5 is just gonna lose the gate all together.

7. 77fixer

77fixer 1/2 ton status

I have been considering a soft top, but do they come with a back window or do they rely on roll-up window. I have also been reading the post about replacing the roll-up with a flip up from a camper shell. I think I like that idea better. It sounds like a lot more work but I think the effort would be worth it.
    Anyways, thanks for all the input.

Brett /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif77 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif74

8. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

Softops come with a back window. The roll up window will not work well without the hardtop to support it. I like the flip up idea also...

9. 88sub4x4

88sub4x4 1/2 ton status

You said the tailgate is thinner to the inside, do you mean that it doesn't seal against the floor pan and sides inside. If you look at it from the inside, do you see light coming in from all around? I like this idea, thinking whether it will work on a sub. though. Only I need it ti seal all around as this is my daily driver. The liftup window sounds like it would work good with a tailgate /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

10. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

You can buy an aftermarket seal for the P/U tailgate. I know J.C.Whitney selles them & IIRC LMC does as well. I don't have any idea if the P/U gate is a bolt in on the 'burb. It is on the Blazer, about a 12 min swap. Just make sure you get the hinges to go w/ the gate, there are at least two styles. Mount holes are all the same and either complete assembly will swap, just not the pieces from the two.

11. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

What ever you saw was not the common swap most of us are talking about. Just put a stock P/U gate into the stock holes in the Blazer (the exact same ones that are in a P/U) and it will look like it came that way.

12. nofeartruckin00

I only saw daylight thru because the tailgate is bowed out in the middle /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif . But if it is a straight tailgate, you won't see light coming thru. The blazer tailgates have additional thickness towards the center (to fit the motor and window). I believe the outsides, where it would contact body and floorpan, are the same thickness as the pickup version. I'm not using any weatherstripping right now, and i can tell the cold air is getting in pretty fast when the heater is off. That weatherstripping bigjbear is talking about is next on my list of things to do.