Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Truck Tailgates?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Hossbaby50, Apr 18, 2004.

1. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Are 73-80 and 81-87 truck tail gates the same? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif I am looking to put a truck tailgate on my 85 K5 for the summer while my top is off. I have a line on a cheap 75 tailgate but I want to make sure it will fit before I fork over a case of beer for a tailgate.

Thanks

Harley

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i think they will interchange, but the indent in the back is shaped different AFAIK /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

3. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

As far as I know they are the same except for aesthetics. Just make sure you get the part of the hinges that bolt to the bed sides along with the latch mechanism which is also different. These should be easy to adapt to your tub. However, it's been many years since I did this and I don't remember the details. But, we are going to do it to my son's K5 very soon... except it will have a custom tail gate using the latches and hinges from my crapped out CUCV tailgate...

4. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

no, they arent same, they redesigned the hinges and everything, the gates 73-80 arent same size, been there done that a bunch you would need to swpa every last piece of hardware to make it work and some of them are different late 77-80 even, check out LMC or jc whitney it lists them out, theres a late design and an early design in 73-80 years

5. Hossbaby50

Will the swap work will all the mounting hardware from the older truck? Will all the hardware go onto a newer K5? Thanks

Harley

6. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

I just did this swap yesterday and used a 80's something p/u tailgate and all the hardware. The hardware bolted into the existing bolt holes on my '90, took about 10 min to install. Will post some pics of the hardware a little later today.

7. Hossbaby50

I need to know though if you have the tailgate from a 75 with all hardware if it will bolt to an 85.

Your 90 should be interchangeable with 81 and up but I need to know about 80 and down. The older body style. Thanks

Harley

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

1976 is the year break.

There are two designs, one of them is 73-76 and the other is mid 76-87.

As stated above you can make either fit if you have ALL of the hardware.

9. Hossbaby50

Ok, sweet. I was in the air about yes or no. I thought yes but wasn't sure. I have friend with a 75 that has everything. It is going to cost me $20 and a 12 pack so I will be doing this swap soon.

Learned something new too. I thought the year break would be 81 when they changed the front clips. Now I know better. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Harley