Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Truck tool boxes

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by chevyfumes, Mar 6, 2002.

1. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

where is agood place to find one I'm lookin' for a chest type so it can ride in my blazer, I want diamond plate and just big enough to fit in between the wheel wells and just high enough to be level with the bed rails. Ive found some on the net for about 200 but cant find any local I'm in Washington state...

2. Greenblazer-AZ

Greenblazer-AZ 1/2 ton status

That's what I was looking for when I bought my plastic one at Wall-Mart. It's just a smidge higher than the rails but it was $35.00. The brand is Contico or something like that. It's not the most secure. It has two plastic tabs for padlocks on each side, but my 35" spare is strapped on top of it to deter theft. I couldn't see paying $200.00 plus bucks for the diamond plate one since I didn't wan't it bolted down. Having the diamond plate on bouncing in my rig would have beat it up. If you gotta have the diamond plate kind try an RV shop that sells accessories. I've seen them on travel trailers.

3. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Look for farm/ranch supply places in the phone book - or check out Home Depot, they sell small Knaack type jobsite chests for around $150.

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

http://www.deltastorage.com/delta_new_truck_products.html
    I run a simular box to that. I had mine custom made by a company in Levern TN named Pro-Tech. That's what is known as a Underbed box. Mine measures 48wide x 18 tall x 20 deep. If you use this style you have to mount it about 1 inch off the floor to alow room for the hinge. I love mine. I run topless most of the year. Knowing that they would have to bust 2 locks to get my tools and gear is good. Never had a drop of water get in it. Even keeps dust out. Yeah it isn't cheap but a box full of tools can easily run over $1k to replace if it get's stolen. Then there is the HiLift I store in there when not on the trail, 2 tow straps, spare parts, hand winch etc. It would take an easy $1500-2k. The $240 I paid for mine was well worth it to protect my junk.
    I went with the side opening for a few reason. I had a Contico box before. Trying to get stuff out was a pain in the butt with the top on. This will let me strap coolers or gear on top and still have full access to the stuff in the box.
    Locking a plastic box....why bother. A swift kick on a Contico box will bust the plastic tabs off and your in.

5. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

go to an army surplus store and check outthe boxes they have there. may need to paint it but you'll end up spending like 30 or so for a good box.

ARQ>

6. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Local Mil Surplus had some sort of big steel "ordinance" and "fuse" boxes (at least that is what was marked on them IIRC) for $50. I started to get one. They were about 3.5' long, around 1.5' wide and maybe 1.5' tall. They had like 6 heavy (locking) latches around the edges, a rubber seal that was water tight, and the lid could be completely removed. Pretty stout but I would need at 2 and didn't feel like paying $100.

7. Greenblazer-AZ

Greenblazer-AZ 1/2 ton status

I don't lock my Contico the only theft deterance is the spare tire, and the fact that I park in the back yard. I guess it all depends on what you security needs and what you can afford. Those are some pretty sweet looking boxes though.
    Here's a pic, you can't see the box but the spare is on top of it: http://www.rockmodified.com/trails/fullsizerev/640/640_upperwood80.jpg

8. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I had the same prob today sat on the web all day only to find what I wanted several times with no price tag finally i called this place close to me and asked if they had a chest type box (you know one that dosent require resting on the bed rails) in certain demensions, the guy says yup and asks what its fer, so I say my Blazer and he procedes to tell me (get this) You can't put those inna SUV they only go in TRUKS...Hmmm wish I's smart nuff ta have hissa job.../forums/images/icons/mad.gif

9. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Proof fumes leaves the lounge :thumb:

10. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

11. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

What was he thinkin'? :p:

12. chopped&bobbed77burb

chopped&bobbed77burb 1/2 ton status

Fumes , I'm always finding good used Metal or plastic truck boxes on craigslist . You want one that fit's a little import truck . I had a metal one for the back of my burb and it fit just inside the bed with a few inches on each side and it rested on the wheel wells . I just bolted it through the wheel wells . I had to get rid of it when I put the blazer fuel tank in the bed . I've seen the for as little as $25 . If you are keeping your rear seat you can just mount it between your seat and tail gate as I think the one I had was about 55"x20"x17" . good luck :D