Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TRUCK TRANS?

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by dogger, Dec 23, 2001.

1. dogger

dogger Newbie

MY 85 1/2 TON PU HAS AN85MM SIDE LOADER 4SP OD TRANS.WHAT IS THE BEST BONE YARD SWAP?LATE MODEL5 SPEED WOULD BE COOL.ALSO IF MY CURRENT TRANS LASTS AS LONG AS THE 6.2,HOW HARD WOULD IT BE TO SWAP IN A350GAS/TH700R4?THIS (4X4)TRUCK ONLY HAS 120K ON IT.CLUTCH IS GOING,TRANS IS A LITTLE NOISY.THIS TRUCK PLOWS SNOW,HAULS FIRE WOOD,TOWS,AND STILL RUNS 75MPH REGULARLY

2. Heavychevy

Heavychevy Registered Member

You don't say what gears you're runnin' or tire size, but if it was me, I'd throw a sm465 in there when you replace the clutch. They are in the boneyards for cheap. Unless you're talkin' about a BUILT 700r4, I think that with the work that your truck does, it won't hold up. If you go sm465 and find your rpm's too high, then you have a great excuse to run 35's![​IMG]

3. dogger

dogger Newbie

THANKS HEV.CHEV..WOULD THAT sm465 BOLT UP.I'D LIKE TO SAVE MY FAVORS FROM ADVANCE ADAPTERS FOR MY NEXT PROJECT.HA.THE TRUCK HAS 3.42s AND 30X9.5 TIRES.WITHOUT O.D.(i dont have a tach either!)WHAT WOULD MY RPMS BE.I,D RATHER SLOW DOWN ON THE HIGHWAY +SAVE HUNDREDS AT THE BONEYARD.SPEAKING OF RPMS,WHAT IS FAC.REDLINE?A FRIEND OF MINE IS A RETIRED MECHANIC FROM Pa.dept.of transportation(road maintenance),SAYES THE MAIN BEARING CAPS WILL GRENADE IF YOU OVERREV MUCH OR HOLD LOW GEARS DOWN HILLS.THIS TRUCK IS A FAMILY HIERLOOM,DAD BOUGHT IT NEW ON MY 16th BIRTHDAY.I USE IT HARD AND FUSS OVER IT HARDER.THANKS AGAIN.

4. Heavychevy

Heavychevy Registered Member

Dogger, ...........Yes, the sm465 will bolt right up. I run 3.42 gears with 29" tires, and I'm happy![​IMG]

5. bigbluek20

bigbluek20 1/2 ton status

350 swap is actually much easier than I ever anticipated.

Had a complete 350 available from comparable year (for my 82).

Stock exhaust manifolds of 350 bolt right to factory dual exhaust.
    Had to get a new throttle cable (accelerator to carb)
    No tranny issues (currently running 89mm Manual OD w/350)
    Cut out the glow plug wiring, distributor connector already in factor harness!
    Had to use 350 radiator... couldn't find hoses to hook up :(
    Need to re-plumb the hydro-boost to connect return lines together before returning to pump (diesel pump won't fit).
    Getting all the diesel out of the tanks was probably the most annoying job.

It has been 10 years, but I am still running today without issue. Except emissions... recertification was a pain and you will need cat's :(

Designing Tomorrow the Night Before Yesterday's Technology

6. carolina custom

carolina custom 1/2 ton status

You 6.2 is mechanicaly governed at 3600rpm. I run my truck at 2900rpm on the Interstate. your results may vary;.)

Marc